Establishing a common analog listening bias

Maybe it is possible to establish a widely accepted common ground in terms of listening bias by choosing and agreeing on 10-30 LPs all readily available new to all audiophiles for decent price.
If all listening tests and personal comments regarding the sound of components and systems in the various threads and posts would refer to any of these LPs mainly, everyones comments and experiences would much easier be understood by their fellow Audiogoners.

How about an "Audiogon baker's double-dozen"?

This would create a solid ground for all of us.

How do you think about this ?
dertonarm
Hi Daniel Axel and Stiltskin,
side one on the Royal Ballet set is dead on perfect phase - the other 3 sides are not. A common problem with many major classical recordings in the period from 1958 to 1963
That's incredible information Daniel. How do you know this? It sure explains things. If I reverse the phase on the other sides (via my preamp), will they then sound like side 1?
Interesting comment about the correct VTA for Weavers and Belafonte and your description of the 'waterfall'....which is just what I hear?

Sorry to offend Stiltskin, but that was precisely why I mentioned those much acclaimed albums. They have never sounded to me like 'magic' and in describing what I hear and receiving your responses (especially Daniel's).....I believe we are achieving what Daniel wanted to when he started this discourse?.........to be able to discuss exactly WHAT we are all hearing on the same source material?
Incredibly valuable stuff if you ask me?
Regards
Henry
Hi,
back to Belafonte.
The following I can dig up:
1) RCA LOC-6006 1959, 2 LPs, MONO (USA)
2) RCA LSO-6006 1959, 2 LPs, STEREO (USA)
3) RCA LSO-6006 ca. 1968, 2 LPs, Stereo (England)
4) Classic Records, RCA LSO-6006 1995, 2 LPs, STEREO (USA)
5) Classic Records, 1995, 1 LP, 45 RPM, White pressing (USA)
*) RCA 6006-2-R, 1992, CD, (FRG)

6) mine, pressed in Seoul, Korea, RCA orange Label,
etc. pp

So, it might just be a bit difficult in comparing this lot, as I had eluded to earlier.
Axel
Dear Henry,

I am rather MUCH more into recordings then into tonearms.
The records were and always will be my center of apssion as far as audio goes.
Thats why I am so fanatica about groove-cut-angle compliant VTA.
And yse, - I beleive taht this is one of the many points why a common ground based on a few handful of reciords agreeed upon can serve us all so well.
Indeed Stiltskin - teh Belafonte is superb. I have 2 copys 1s/A1 all four sides. One of my favourits live-albums.

Cheers,
D.
Here is one, which fits all (it is Classic, but even those who have absolutely no affinaty to it, will enjoy it, it is nothing depressive), a reissue from Classic Records, current available
LSC 2327, BIZET / CHABRIER
This is one of those rare records which has everything and - very important - NO limit, it will go up with your system, the better it is, the more Details you will "see".When right, then you have a view into that Performance from above,
it is clear from the tonal spectrum, very deep soundstage (no limit), endless Detail, deep Bass (no, that is not the Subway :-) ), in short: excellent for comparison.
Others are good too from the CR Batch, but with this one here you will get an extraordinary focus in 3 Dimensions, the holographic Dynamic is program, best described with "Living Presence".
HP once created the word "Gestalt" for his description about cartridges, here you will "see" and hear what's all about.
Endless pressure between the 2 speakers (not via volume knob from your preamp, it is the power IN the performance) with all kind of Details you can imagine. No matter how often you will listen to it, you will always discover something new. Side 2 is killer, Bass will move your stomach even at moderate level...
One of my 4 tops.
Hi,
let's maybe get some jazz in the mix also?
All time goodie "Time Out" by Dave Brubeck Quartet.
'6 eye' Columbia CS 8192
Or is this not so easily available any more?

Interesting with this one for me. When the set-up is fine you get a clear pre-echo when in the start-wax -- and the 'walking bass-line' becomes nicely noticeable, i.e. the timing sounds right, otherwise it can get a bit lost.

A.
PS: I tried my Belafonte again, the applause is annoyingly sounding like a 'waterfall', too bad. Yes, there is some 'live' hall information too. But that audience must have been done by the sound-engineer's apprentice .