Establishing a common analog listening bias

Maybe it is possible to establish a widely accepted common ground in terms of listening bias by choosing and agreeing on 10-30 LPs all readily available new to all audiophiles for decent price.
If all listening tests and personal comments regarding the sound of components and systems in the various threads and posts would refer to any of these LPs mainly, everyones comments and experiences would much easier be understood by their fellow Audiogoners.

How about an "Audiogon baker's double-dozen"?

This would create a solid ground for all of us.

How do you think about this ?
dertonarm
OK, Belafonte at Carnegie Hall...
The applause on my lot supports Halcro's gripe, not very defined at all, the singer is there very nicely but superior 'hall information' .... I think I heard better. ---Now we are of course supposed to listing to the performers and they are very well defined.

Here is a clue: This album was **at least** 6 time re-issued and not getting better by the time I got my orange budget (I guess) label RCA.
Could explain some of it, yes?
A.
Wheather your a fan of Belafonte or not, the fact remains this particular recording is superb with NONE of the discribed issues above....None.

I can only guess why Halcro would say what he did, most likey a poor pressing for sure.

Anyone with a good pressing vintage or re-issue will tell you the same.
If your system can't handle this recording you need to make adjustments and or get a good pressing.

Good grief.
Hi Daniel Axel and Stiltskin,
side one on the Royal Ballet set is dead on perfect phase - the other 3 sides are not. A common problem with many major classical recordings in the period from 1958 to 1963
That's incredible information Daniel. How do you know this? It sure explains things. If I reverse the phase on the other sides (via my preamp), will they then sound like side 1?
Interesting comment about the correct VTA for Weavers and Belafonte and your description of the 'waterfall'....which is just what I hear?

Sorry to offend Stiltskin, but that was precisely why I mentioned those much acclaimed albums. They have never sounded to me like 'magic' and in describing what I hear and receiving your responses (especially Daniel's).....I believe we are achieving what Daniel wanted to when he started this discourse?.........to be able to discuss exactly WHAT we are all hearing on the same source material?
Incredibly valuable stuff if you ask me?
Regards
Henry
Hi,
back to Belafonte.
The following I can dig up:
1) RCA LOC-6006 1959, 2 LPs, MONO (USA)
2) RCA LSO-6006 1959, 2 LPs, STEREO (USA)
3) RCA LSO-6006 ca. 1968, 2 LPs, Stereo (England)
4) Classic Records, RCA LSO-6006 1995, 2 LPs, STEREO (USA)
5) Classic Records, 1995, 1 LP, 45 RPM, White pressing (USA)
*) RCA 6006-2-R, 1992, CD, (FRG)

6) mine, pressed in Seoul, Korea, RCA orange Label,
etc. pp

So, it might just be a bit difficult in comparing this lot, as I had eluded to earlier.
Axel
Dear Henry,

I am rather MUCH more into recordings then into tonearms.
The records were and always will be my center of apssion as far as audio goes.
Thats why I am so fanatica about groove-cut-angle compliant VTA.
And yse, - I beleive taht this is one of the many points why a common ground based on a few handful of reciords agreeed upon can serve us all so well.
Indeed Stiltskin - teh Belafonte is superb. I have 2 copys 1s/A1 all four sides. One of my favourits live-albums.

Cheers,
D.