Why is the price of new tonearms so high

Im wondering why the price of new tonearms are so high, around $12k to $15k when older very good arms can be bought at half or less?
perrew
Dear Axel, ..."The man has the best tonearm, best woman, best system, best ears, best education, best audio knowledge, best superlatives... well."
Well - the tonearm/cartridge combination which gives the best result so far - yes.
Best woman - in my eyes and regarding all significant parameters - yes, of course (as it should be with every happy married man).
Best system - maybe.
Best ears - a full pair of useable ones, with a lot of training.
Best education - a good one.
Best audio knowledge - well, enough.
Best superlatives - no - you and your buddy in middle-america outdo me in this regard.

After we have settled this now - any chance you might come back to this thread with some true input other than euclid geometry and Lurne's concept (which he didn't discover nor were the first one to bring it to audio...) of matching inertia and gravity center and worshipping my taste, audio knowledge and education?
While I am certainly enjoying this it is a bit boring for the others and does not bring any useable input to the topic.

But maybe this thread has already reached its end, as the inital question has long been answered.

Is my impression wrong?
Cheers,
D.
>>(to quote the Rolling Stones...): we're only in it for the money.......<<

Wrong band.

Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention
Dear Dertonarm: I own several cartridges and tonearms ( vintage and today ones. ) not because I'm a collector but because is a learning subject where I need different tonearms and different cartridges too, I use it for enjoy the music and I use it like tools in some of my audio projects.

+++++ " I do not think that any toenarm designer starts the project on designing a new contender for the state of the art because he is "not satisfied" with the current available. " +++++

What you think on the subject has no relevance. I start the tonearm design project because what I already posted, I don't start the tonearm project for " a new contender " but to achieve our targets that can't be reached/fullfill with what are on the market.

+++++ " we're only in it for the money. " +++++

fortunately not all of us are like you.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.
Dear Raul, tears are running down my cheeks ...........
What great display of humanity and earnest strive for the better in mankind.
Unbelieveable - I never thought I will ever (even not in virtual reality...) meet such an almost holy audiophile soul like you.
All those highly agressive emails directed at me coming under your pseudonym in the past must then be the expression of Mr Hyde sleeping in Dr.Raul-Jekyll ??
Almost unreal.
Almost.
I am sure you will give your "world's best tonearm" to the audiophile community for the mere parts cost and free shipping.
So we will be looking at a price tag below $1k for sure.
As you already do - if unsuccessful - with your "world's best preamplifier".
A pity that the world won't realize..
Cheers,
D.