MintLP arc protractor

I'm talking to Yip about a protractor for a Rega RB-300 mounted on a VPI HW-19 Mark III. To verify the desired 222mm spindle to pivot distance I cut a piece of cardboard 222mm in length. I measured from the spindle to the center of the armboard mounting hole. It looks to be spot on at 222mm. Is there a more accurate way to measure so that I can confirm my initial findings?

Wendell
narrod
You can go to Vinyl Engine or other such source to verify that 222 distance. I just got an Origin Conqueror and sweated the same stuff before ordering from Yip, but there are more than a few sources to confirm spindle to pivot distances.
more accurate way to measure? how about something stiffer/thinner than the cardboard?
Hello Wendell,
Yes, there would be a more accurate way to measure, but it would no doubt incure some costs. And I'm unsure if this degree of high accuracy is needed? I'm no Rega Arm expert, but I would think, unless you are using a Rega Cartridge, and buttoning up all three holes on the Cartridge might there then be a problem?

I would assume the very best way, would be a large Dial Caliper, such as the machinist used, when he fabricated a new plinth for me on my VPI HW-19. I'd hate asking him the price of that tool, I'm sure it was not cheap.

Machined Locating Pins were fabricated for both Bearing, and Arm Base. Then with Calipers, the required didtance was measured out. It is important, that any measuring tool be perfectly level when taking a measurement. Any sloping of the measuring tool from point A-B (Pivot-Spindle) will give an erroneous reading, most likely longer in length than the actual S-P distance measurement.

I would think a good accurate Steel Ruler would be better as a tool.

I wonder though, wouldn't this be true, with a slotted Headshell, if one finds the actual S-P spec of 222mm slightly off, say by +- .5mm-1.0mm, couldn't one then properly compensate by sliding the cartridge on Headshell, thus getting perfect alignment with the 222mm MintLP Arc Protractor? If I'm wrong about this, somebody please chime in! :-) mark