Help Anti Static Brush creates MORE static

Help! I am using an audioquest anti static brush to dust of my records BUT when I use it, as the needle is dropping down a series of loud static pops occur, and in addition during playback loud static pops occur. Sometimes I get these static pops after brushing a record before the needles even touching the record.

btw - On the same records, when I wet clean (using vpi hw16.5) this DOES NOT OCCUR. What's going on here? I figured I would use the brush for recently cleaned records, but its completely unusable. any ideas /suggestions re static greatly appreciated
jpearce1b
I advise using an anti-static gun like the old Zerostat or the Milty. I use it every time I use a brush, even after deep cleaning. It zaps static electricity and is a worthwhile investment.
Please make sure the ground wire from your arm/table is connected to your preamp/phono amp properly. In some situations, a falsely connected ground wire will not cause hum but static pops like what you just described instead.
Many thanks - will try these suggestions tonight, also my 'table is a rega p25 with the stock cables that includes the grounding directly 'in' the rca cable. not usre why they chose to do that and I wonder if it's adding to static problems......