LAST record preservative

I have noticed a slight reduction in highs after applying LAST record preservative. However, if I use Disc Doctor record cleaner after applying LAST preservative the highes seem to return to normal. Does the preservation effect if LAST still work if I use the Disc Doctor solution after the LAST solution has totally dried? I listen to my LP's daily and don't want them to wear out too fast if possible! All of my LP's are cleaned on a VPI 16.5 with Disc Doctor Miracle wash prior to play back or treatment with LAST preservative. Thanks for any advice, or feedback!
rick_hilton
"Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in." :-)

I fully believe that LAST was developed to make all of those mid-if/low-fi 'tables "sound better" back in the day. Less scratchy, less surface noise. Yeah, ok. It does that. But it does so at a price, IME,IMO, YMMV, etc.
Hello Dan_ed,
I'm not so sure that is "entirely correct, as I'll bring up one point, LAST LP Preservative certainly isn't an "inexpensive" product, that's for sure!

I'm sure, just like cleaning debates, this one can have as many opinions, as posters-users of the product.

I've used it for a number of years, still have some on stash in fact, and to me, the product didn't seem to muffle-dull anything. But perhaps my system had enough of the mids, and highs regardless, to not be of much detrimental consequence? And I usually never did a before-after A-B test, so my opinons don;t count for much, as it was applied to fresh from the Jacket, mostly on fresh Mo-Fi's, and DCC's.

Some are close to 20 years old, and still look, and sound fantastic, just like the day I bought them. How they would've sounded untreated, I cannot truthfully say? And some have been recently re-cleaned with a full AIVS Process, and VPI 16.5, and still sound basically the same, no changes one way, or the other to my ears.

I can of course fully understand, and as well mostly agree with the purist's point of view, in that nothing should come between the Stylus-Groove interface, and that adding anything, could perhaps be recognized, and heard as just another "contaminant" added to the surface?

The purpose of the product was as its name implies, to "preserve", and most of us don't have the resources to accurately say just how well an "untreated" LP held up, and its sonic qualities compare, versus an exact same LP copy, that was LAST treated, after 70, or so plays. This is where the LAST product may have its advantage?

I'm not actually a proponent for, or against LAST, but I will say that this does seem to be a unique product, unlike virtually all other LP treatments that I've ever used. Mark
I have an LP or 2 that was bought treated with last, that although was pop and tick free, to me didn't sound good (rather dead sounding). I treated a few LP's myself with Last many years ago and can't remember the sonic effect. Of course my system (especially my front end) is far superior to today, so I'd likely better be able to discern what applying Last did sonically. I do use their stylus cleaner. I used to use the stylus preservative in an attempt to make the stylus last longer, but now I use a cart that has replaceable styli (which are only a few hundred to replace rather than a few thousand,) so I don't worry about about maximizing longevity. Of course I also don't have to worry about anything creeping up the cantilever either, so I choose to just use the stylus cleaner along with occasional Magic Eraser.

I'd rather just keep lp's clean (Audio Intelligent 1&2 with a Loricraft) and worry about the chance I may have screwed them up.