Now what?

I like the sound of the Rega Apollo-R, but I don't like how it won't read disc that aren't perfect. I decided to start looking into replacing it. My journey began with a Densen 400 Plus. Wow what a difference. The Densen is bright, imaging is poor, sound stays between the speakers. Now I really understand when people say a component gives the prospective of sitting in the front row. My problem is I want to change from the Apollo, but I don't want to spend more than 2K for a new or used player. Can I do better than a Rega Apollo-R for less than 2K? If so, I need two or three recommendations to listen to.
ricred1
I am frankly puzzled by your first sentence. The Apollo takes several seconds on average to read what type of disc you have inserted and changes it's settings accordingly. I have never had a problem with it not reading a disc properly, in fact that is one of it's really nice features in my experience.

Sometimes a disc I have burned will not play that great, but this is the fault of my burner, not the Apollo. I do not have a high end burner, I just use a free program with my Mac laptop. It could also be the type of blank CD you are using, they vary quite a bit in quality IME.
Learsfool, if every component from a manufacturer functioned exactly the same (0 malfunctions) then we'd be talking about perfection. It must be taken into account that perfect function is not what we always get when we buy audio components, even when consumer a. has the same audio component as consumer b.
Actually, comments about the Rega Apollo's recognizing CDs come up from time to time. Most are concerning CDRs, which Rega explains in the user booklet that if the CDR was recorded at greater than 8X, you are SOL.

I have had the original Apollo for 7 or 8 years now and on that rare occasion when a CD is not readable, I open the lid and reinsert the CD or I shut the player off and then back on and I am good to go. If Ricred is having this issue occur a lot, I would suggest contacting Rega about the matter. I own more than 5000 cds and have not come across more than a handful of damaged cds.

Rich
I like the sound of the Rega Apollo-R, but I don't like how it won't read disc that aren't perfect.

I guess this could be frustrating but:

In speaking to Rega technicians many years ago about my Saturn, they told me that Rega established a standard for the players when in the "initializing" mode.

This is why it takes a while as it calibrates itself for each disc.

If the cd does not pass all the software tests it does not register as playable. So I see this as a good thing.

Of the players I own it is the pickiest. Its been my experience that burned colored discs work better/less errors than shiny ones.

My experiences also mirror what the others have said. nice player.

Cheers