Now what?

I like the sound of the Rega Apollo-R, but I don't like how it won't read disc that aren't perfect. I decided to start looking into replacing it. My journey began with a Densen 400 Plus. Wow what a difference. The Densen is bright, imaging is poor, sound stays between the speakers. Now I really understand when people say a component gives the prospective of sitting in the front row. My problem is I want to change from the Apollo, but I don't want to spend more than 2K for a new or used player. Can I do better than a Rega Apollo-R for less than 2K? If so, I need two or three recommendations to listen to.
ricred1

Showing 1 response by ct0517

I like the sound of the Rega Apollo-R, but I don't like how it won't read disc that aren't perfect.

I guess this could be frustrating but:

In speaking to Rega technicians many years ago about my Saturn, they told me that Rega established a standard for the players when in the "initializing" mode.

This is why it takes a while as it calibrates itself for each disc.

If the cd does not pass all the software tests it does not register as playable. So I see this as a good thing.

Of the players I own it is the pickiest. Its been my experience that burned colored discs work better/less errors than shiny ones.

My experiences also mirror what the others have said. nice player.

Cheers