How is it ? that a tuner smokes the table ???

"(cats out of the bag)"

my friends dynalab 109 tube tuner blows away his turntable front end that costs 4X as much!!!

Can any one explain how a cd or analog turntable at a radio station gets played and sent thru the air and gets
reconstructed at the tuner is the single highest quality
source in hiend two channel reproduction !

that blows me away and I can understand it ?

IMHO tuner highest source than turntable than CD in that order.

I wish somebody told me this before I spend so much money !

what sayest thou ?
jimpcn
Dear Jimpcn: +++++ " its a shocking revelation to me that the tuner is the highest quality source in two channel. " +++++

IMHO and to be a little " wilingness " about it is not the highest quality source only different.

Now, if your +10K analog rig and the ones from your friends are " surpassed " by the tunner then IMHO you and your friends are in serious trouble about not only your analog rig but your whole audio system, at least with analog.

There are other things that maybe could happen for that: that yours music/sound priorities are a little " odd ", that all of you do not have a lot of live music experiences, that the whole set-up is wrong somewhere, that you and your friends are not " golden ears ", that you and your friends like it more the tunner " colorations/distortions ", that, that, that, etc, etc.

I'm not saying that all these can/could happen what I'm saying is that something is wrong or at least out of " standards ". There is nothing wrong with that but your statement is something that happen to you and friends and not with other 99.95% of the analog audio community.

Bis a Bis ( everything the same ) IMHO it is almost impossible ( for normal people ) that many/several of us can/could agree with your statement.

Now, that is a good news for you and your friends because you can/could put on sale the analog rigs and make some money and go on enjoying those very good radio stations, that you have in Toronto , from your remote: that's great.

Btw, some one posted about some specs on FM signal at radio station and told us: " WAY better than ANY phono cartridge. ".
Well, I have some cartridges that are " way better than.... ", to say " any " means an " absolute true " and IMHO nothing is totally perfect to surpass " any ", well like always only my opinion, I respect the other people opinions even if I don't agree with.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
I have always wondered about why some super-priced tuners have a market. I can understand about moderately priced tuners...

The signal goes through a lot of processing, and is sent over the air, only to be processed more by your tuner. The level of processing can be argued to be the reason why super-priced tuners are priced as they are -- accurate demodulation of the received signal. My questions remain, is the fidelity of the original source is really maintained, and is the fidelity of the original source as good as a properly set up, high quality turntable?

On the question of the original source, the the quality of the cd processors used in radio stations may far surpass our home processors. But it is still digital...

I am an analogue fan, both in photography and audio. In both realms, I have never experienced digital that can capture the nuances, including textures and subtleties of detail, and the naturalness, of analogue. I read a criticism of a digital photo where snow looked like concrete. There was nothing natural, nor accurate about the photo, and it was taken with a state-of-the-art professional digital camera costing thousands of dollars. I agreed when I saw the photo. I believe the argument of digital audio versus analog is analogous.

So, from my perspective, I actually would never think that radio could compete with a high-quality, well set up turntable. Even if the radio station source was analogue, with it's signal processing, I still would not think it could beat direct high quality turntable signal.

Also, isn't radio supposed to go digital in the near future?

These thoughts add up in my mind and make me wonder how some tuners can be so expensive and actually sell. The only thing I can think of is that it is all relative -- to some, a thousand or more dollars for a tuner is not expensive.

Raul and Bicycle man, I thouoght exactly like you gentleman
before I heard it myself.

I think I will email Dynalab and ask them because they may have an explanation ???

Your point Bicycle man is right on, its the only conclusion
anyone can possibly make that has not heard the Dynalab 109 tuner!
Your great point is how can they sell such an expensive piece if they were not that good ?????????????????????.

I will admit that the two sounds are different! that's why my friend and I have come to the conclusion the the tuner is better, haha

turntable has more depth and is less coloured and at times, but tuner is way more believable !!!

Way more dynamic,
way more intimate (and thats shocking0, and more flesh and body sounding, than a table could ever dream of being.

those three elements are strong coomponents to similate live music IMHO. !!!

My personnel guess on the reason, is that the output voltage or strength if you will of the signal is way greater with tuner than the mv of a low output moving coil cartridge. I think that has something to do with it but am just guessing ???

Raul, that talk about listening to live music is insulting
and ridicoulous!

there is so much BS. in audiophilia that it's hilarious.

Also dont get it twisted, for all those audiophiles with lesser tuners, in my opinion they may not sound as good as a good turntable front end ?

I am only talking about the super tuners like Day Sequerra,Dynalab, and maybe the top of the line Accuphase
tuners.

Although the macintosh and scott tuners sound good they are just not in this league. IMHO>

I wish I could hear from other audiophiles who own both mediums to hear their opinions too.

peace
Dear Jimpcn: +++++ " Raul, that talk about listening to live music is insulting
and ridicoulous! " +++++

well, that was not my intention and maybe from your point of view it could be " ridicoulous " but not insulting because I posted:
+++++ " There are other things that maybe could happen for that... " ++++ and then: +++++ " I'm not saying that all these can/could happen.... " +++++
so please don't take it like the " suit" is exactly on your size.

Those are mere assumptions due that you don't say which is your analog rig: your whole audio system, to figure what is happen down there. Why don't do it? then will be more easy to any one to understand what you are experienced.
If you can please do it, we appreciate that.

Now, I don't have a doubt of what you and your friends are hearing through the tunner, I would like to know why : I always like a rational " explanation " to really understand any subject.

IMHO till this post I don't read objective facts ( other that you and your friends are in love with the tunner source ) that help all of us what is happening and for your words there are happening " great " things, well I and maybe some one else would like to experience those " great " things, maybe duplicate what you have.

Your thread is a interesting one so we can discuss in intelligent/serious way and try to achieve real conclusions.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.