KAB 1200 vs. everything else.

A few weeks back I asked Kevin of KAB USA what price level a fully modded 1200 competes with, and he thought somewhere in the 4500-5000 dollar price range. His reasoning was that the business concentrates on romantic reproduction rather than technical reproduction. It sounded plausible, but I am pretty new to analog playback. What do you think of this claim--Cheers
jmoog08
Go right ahead and sell it, Tvad.
But then what about all those records that have not made it to CD? That might be the only drawback to dumping the analog front end.
Post removed 
Well, I love my 1210M5GSE with KAB fluid damper. I could (and probably will) do a few more upgrades but I think I am getting the best sound for the dollar now. I bet it is better than some that are higher-priced, and you will not find another better in the 1200/1210 price range.

Not one component in my system cost over $1000 (most under $500) and I think of myself as a more of a music fan (if my house was on fire I would rescue my vinyl first, gear second). Most musicians and music fans I know have systems worth less than mine. In fact most "audiophiles" I have met are really just wealthy individuals looking for something to spend money on. It is amazing to me that some think they only way you can enjoy music is if you are insanely wealthy. Oh well, just my two cents...
Tvad, I agree with your comments as to what constitutes an analogue front end – table, arm, cart, phono cable etc. etc. Many folks ‘conveniently’ leave out items such as cabling and phono stages in their costing.

I mentioned earlier that you have to spend more an analogue than digital for analogue to start matching, never mind outperforming, digital. However, I found that the 5K mark is a threshold where a carefully assembled analogue front end will match digital and start beating it sonically. Disclaimer is that I do build my own amplifiers (pre, phono & power) and often purchase used, so the $5K number is relative.

I own two Technics TTs and like them, but I am somewhat surprised to hear that you use an SL1200 as basis for a $4500 analogue setup. Long story short, a cart will only perform as well as the arm that supports it will allows it to. An arm can only support a cart as well as the turntable which it resides on supports it. IMHO you have over-carted both your TT/arm and your phono stage.

I am not surprised you prefer your digital setup – I am sure I would also. However, you may think differently if you were exposed to a more evenly constructed analogue setup.

That said, the appreciation of sound is as subjective as anything out there. I’m always sorry to see somebody turning away from analogue, but what’s good for the goose is not always good for the gander.

Regards
Paul
Post removed