KAB 1200 vs. everything else.

A few weeks back I asked Kevin of KAB USA what price level a fully modded 1200 competes with, and he thought somewhere in the 4500-5000 dollar price range. His reasoning was that the business concentrates on romantic reproduction rather than technical reproduction. It sounded plausible, but I am pretty new to analog playback. What do you think of this claim--Cheers
jmoog08
Less Creative .. I love my Technics SL1210MKII and it shocked lotsa sceptical friends but trust me .. don't compare with a TW Raven One with a good arm .. this is another planet.
I'm sure the SL1200 outclasses many Rega and I think some Gyrodeck/Orbe not well tuned .. maybe some Scout and Scoutmasters (but I don't know these) .. pratically TT around 1000/3000 USD$ expecially if you setup the SL with the fantastic MintLP Tractor but don't push forward

Always IMHO
I won't go into detail where the 12xx tables fit in the hierarchy of analog, but I do believe that one could get away with putting a very nice Cartridge on board, running it though a really good Phono Stage, and get quite surprising results.

Seems most wanna fit this table with a Shure 97, AT440, and I would bet this Table can showcase much better than this, with exacting, precise attention to set up, and the components used downstream. Mark
Markd51,

That's what I was thinking. I strapped a Benz ACE H to an RB250 on the Sl1200. The way it responds makes me think that a $2k is not out of the question.

A Dynavector XX-2, Benz wood body something, and Koetsu Black are on the wish list.

In using a Cardas re-wired RB250, which does track better than the stock arm, I can see that the stock arm with better cable (which mine has) and the fluid damper may exceed the RB250 in performance.

The Rega is solid but not as open or as lively as the Technics stock arm. The only issue being tracking with the Technics arm (which would be overcome by the fluid damper).

The only are where the Rega arms is superior is the unbroken Caras from cart to RCA. You can sense a purer presentation. The overall liveliness and versatility of the modded Technics arm is worth the trade-off....for me.

The technics is a great budget table

I was happy with it but moving up to the lenco L75 idler wheel with jean natais plinith was a clear step-up. I got this used on the 'gon for $1600.

The lenco and gerrard are a great alternative for someone wanting
More than the technics but still avoiding a belt drive and high prices.
I am gonna at some point upgrade the arm from rega rb700 with shelter 501mk2 cart for even more performance...darn my au24 speaker cables may need upgrading too....where is the money tree damn!!!

Some people skimp on the preamp and that holds the tt back.

better speakers, better amp and voilĂ  the technics really can shine

Tonearm dampen fluid is nice but room acoustic should not be
Forgotten either
Post removed