first time vinyl

Ready to step into the vinyl world after reading all the hype. Where is a good level to begin with approximately 700 -1000 starting point?
charly
Beo's are easy but limited with cartridge choices from what I'm told. For a newbie, I'd suggest something simple and clean like a music hall or if buying used, get it locally. Many great used tables like Thorens and Sota are out there but setting them up can be a chore.
Lastly, don't skimp too much on the phono pre. If it's built in to your current receiver, odds are it's crap. For $200, there are some great little choices out there.
Yes I agree, you have many fewer cartridge options with B&O tables. But the B&O cartridges and the Soundsmith replacements are of very high quality, argubly at least as good as anything in the same price class. They're also a good value for the money, and will last a very long time if cared for.

So if playing around with the turntable itself, and trying out different cartridges, etc. is important to you, then maybe something else . . . a Music Hall MMF-5 is a great recommendation, and a nice-sounding turntable. But I've personally compared the MMF-5, MMF-7, and a B&O Beogram 7000/MMC2, and the B&O walks all over the Music Halls . . . and it's automatic, to boot.
I second the Rega recommendation - as close as it gets to "set it and forget it," so it is great for newbies. Much better than Music Hall or Project in that price range - better soundstage and imaging in particular. If you buy from a Rega dealer and also put a Rega cartridge on it, you will get a discount on the whole package, or at least the vast majority will do this. Enjoy!
IMO given your stated budget and the need for a phono pre I would start low (but not cheap) by buying used and working your way up as your ear dictates. If you don't have one, a good record cleaning system is a must. I have the VPI 16.5 a good solid system if you don't mind something less than full auto. Those things said you can't go wrong with a Rega setup as some have already said. However if you have to have a pre-amp also then looking at a Music Hall or Project table/carridge deal will cut some cost. As far as phono pre-amps I had an NAD pp-2 very good entry level that you can get new for not too much same for the Cambridge Audio 640p. Used I like the Acurus p10. They seem to still be very popular despite their age as every time one comes up on Audiogon or Ebay it is gone quickly. On the tube side I have heard and read good things about the Jolida phono pre-amp which can be upgraded with new tubes and other upgrades if you chose.