Reason for buying old/classic turntables

Could you please clarify why many people buy old/classic turntable from the 1960's or 1970's? Are those turntables better than the contemporary ones? Is it just emotion and nostalgia? I'm also asking because these classic turntables are often quite expensive (like vintage automobiles and wine). Recently I saw an advertisement for the Technics SP-10 Mk II for $3,000 and a Micro Seiki SX-111 for $6,000. You can also buy a modern turntable like an Avid, a Clearaudio or Raven for that kind of money. Or are these classic turntables still superior to the modern ones?

Chris
dazzdax
Calipers are no match for computers and CNC equipment. That's wishful thinking.

Calipers are used for measuring things during and after machining (and still used today). CNC machines do the machining. Why are you comparing the two? They couldn't possibly be used for more different things.

And for the record, CNC only refers to how the machines are controlled. CNC in itself implies no particular precision, tolerance, etc. I don't know, but it sounds like you're just using words you've heard.
Lithojoe,

I never said anything about enjoying erroneous or useless information, in fact I can't stand it. I can take heat and a good argument. However, when it comes to insulting one another, I have no place in my life for that type of dialogue. I prefer discussing the topic and enjoying the memebers view point, none of which should include an insult. Isn't that the point, to gather eachothers view, and to enrich our hobby by such disscussion? Least that is what I thought.
Kind regards,
Norman
I have to agree. CNC is only as good as the person that programs it. Calipers, dial gauges, etc are still used to measure the final product. Back to a previous post. I have several old, over a hundred years, clocks that keep perfect time. All the brass gears, bushings, etc in them were cut by hand, no CNC machines back in the day. And, on another note, Pre-war Martin Guitars, Loyd Loar mandolins, all made by hand. And comanding big prices. Why? Not just because they are getting harder to find, but because the way they were made and the way the sound. No CNC machine can duplicate that. I own a '98 Taylor, very nice guitar, but it can't/doesn't compare to a pre-war Martin.

Oh, in case anyone is interested, there is/was a '23 Loar on Craigslist for $210,000.00. Trust me, if I had it, I'd buy it.
You're correct.

I misused computer numerical control in my post in which the basic thrust was meant to indicate that current manufacturing processes due to computers/software allow better, more consistent, and tighter tolerances.

I am familiar with much of the equipment, undoubtedly not as much as you, so please excuse the error.
Actually after reading Audiofeil's comments about advances in engineering capabilites it made me think through how correct that is. A computer does not have 1/1,000,000 the calculating capability of the human brain and thinks only linearly no matter how complicated or detailed the programming. Ones and zeros baby, on and off. That's it. If you program 3 demensional calculations they actually work via indivdual nesting of commands interwoven. The human brain is capable of so much more, and so are human craftsman.

Anyone, and I am guessing there are a many on this board, who have been to Europe(or currently live there) and have seen the precision stonework that was done 2000+ years ago knows that humans are capable of extremely precise craftsmanship without the aid of any type of computer, or even a slide rule. There are many wonderful examples of precision human craftmanship in building that almost any mechanical engineer would tell you are currently not duplicable because the skill needed to construc those type projects no longer exists and cannot be duplicated. Motar-less construction on a massive scale where you cannot fit a piece of paper through the gaps of a 2 ton stone??? Awesome.

So I think turntables made 40 yrs ago probably are OK as compared to those made today. I would love to see a blind listen test, but we know that no one in the audio community ever wants to go there.