Reason for buying old/classic turntables

Could you please clarify why many people buy old/classic turntable from the 1960's or 1970's? Are those turntables better than the contemporary ones? Is it just emotion and nostalgia? I'm also asking because these classic turntables are often quite expensive (like vintage automobiles and wine). Recently I saw an advertisement for the Technics SP-10 Mk II for $3,000 and a Micro Seiki SX-111 for $6,000. You can also buy a modern turntable like an Avid, a Clearaudio or Raven for that kind of money. Or are these classic turntables still superior to the modern ones?

Chris
dazzdax
For the record I own 2 vintage tables, which doesn't change the fact that todays's best i.e. Walker Proscenium, TW Acustic Raven, Basis Work of Art, Rockport, etc. are simply better than their older counterparts. Better materials, better engineering, tighter tolerances et.al. Old can be very good but hardly SOTA. Calipers are no match for computers and CNC equipment. That's wishful thinking.

Also, whether you agree with my views, they are devoid of financial interest and/or bias.

Any fool would know that.

Even Jack.

Who doesn't have a clue btw.
For me, as someone who wants to spend time listening to music rather than mucking with equipment, when the time comes to replace my current Linn table (hopefully not for another 20 years), I would look at new tables first to see what I might be missing.

I would go with another Linn in a heartbeat going in, but I believe it would cost me 3-4 times or more to replace my 80's vintage Linn Axis with a new Linn table today. Would a new table be that much better?
Audiofeil,

"Any fool would know that.
Even J____.
Who doesn't have a clue btw/"

We should be kind and respectful to one another. Why do you always have to put some type of degrading remark towards someone in your comments?

This is supposed to be a kind albeit witty discussion. Insults are not needed, maturity would be appreciated.

Take a pill or something before writing your next one.
Ketchup, I would say there's nothing very great about the build quality of a Lenco L75. The drive system is completely novel and full of potential problems, but it works very very well, if you perform a few mods here and there and get rid of the stock tonearm. As you say, "they simply got lucky".
Lew,
I disagree. I believe they knew exactly what they were doing. The tapered motor shaft for example. Infinately adjustable speed.

But, then again, to each their own. I have already said Lenco's aren't the end all and be all to analog, but then again, I don't believe anthing is.

Sorry, I'm not going to pay more for a tt/arm and cart than I did my GMC truck and Harly combined.