Reason for buying old/classic turntables

Could you please clarify why many people buy old/classic turntable from the 1960's or 1970's? Are those turntables better than the contemporary ones? Is it just emotion and nostalgia? I'm also asking because these classic turntables are often quite expensive (like vintage automobiles and wine). Recently I saw an advertisement for the Technics SP-10 Mk II for $3,000 and a Micro Seiki SX-111 for $6,000. You can also buy a modern turntable like an Avid, a Clearaudio or Raven for that kind of money. Or are these classic turntables still superior to the modern ones?

Chris
dazzdax
I concur with Lewm regarding the Lenco, it can be a tweakers dream as well - just like those old Triumph's - OK enough Steve!

Best wishes and Happy Holidays to all Audiogoners and Vinylphiles
I am not or will not try to debate this issue since my knowledge is limited .......so I'll leave it to others.
My message however was plain & simple:
best of 60's or 70's can not compare with today's SOTA turntables.

Lenco is wonderful turntable but far from engeneering marvels in the stock form.

At the moment, I own three TTs from which two are belt drives and one is vintage idler. All modified, tweaked and replinthed using different techniques.
Why.....?
Simply because I can not afford megabuck dream analog rig.
Besides, I am tweaker in heart and love what I do.

Happy Holidays to all
Mariusz
"Lenco is wonderful turntable but far from engeneering marvels in the stock form."

Don't know of any table that's an "engineering marvel". After all, its a platter that spins.........

Guess I got lucky, and mine works.

Happy holidays everyone...
I think it's funny how some people think that the engineers of (for instance) Garrard 301s, 401s, and Lencos were greater at engineering turntables than anyone, and that the quality of those machines can't be touched. If those engineers knew so damn much about turntable engineering, don't you think they would have figured out that they would have worked so much better in a properly designed plinth, for crying out loud? They simply got lucky.