Belts vs Direct Drive and correcting experiments

I am intrigued by the belt drive vs direct and idler drive debate.

I happen to have an amazon model one - total antithesis of a direct drive deck insofar as it is:

high mass platter
low torque motor - albeit battery powered dc
a 'thin string' as opposed to even a belt.

I am now in the process of restoring an EMT 950.

I know Albert Porter has had great success with the Technics mark 3 - which replaced a walker proscenium in his system.

David Price of Hi fi world had a shoot off between a trio L07d and a new Michell Gyro - the results went something along the lines that the Pace rythm and timing were way better in the trio, and the tonal colourig and image size was better/more pleasant with the trio.

I have had a look at a page dedicated to the trio L07d that says that the image problem tonal colouring problem can be largely addressed by the use of a sheet of copper alloy of sorts to get rid of EMI and another sheet of a cloth like material for RFI interference.

I personally think that the RFI EMI problem may well be a problem with most direct drive decks due to the fact that the motor is directly below the platter. In pursuance of this I am convinced that all direct drives can benefit from such a modification.

With my own EMT 950 - that has both a direct drive motor and a massive steel chassis with an inboard phono stage - I am convinced that such shielding would go a long way. To that end i am thinking about whielding all the electric phono stage parts etc, and also possibly the motor.

I have also discovered a spray on shield that uses an acrylic base that i may well spray onto the steel chassis before i paint it with epoxy paint.

On the belt drive front I am not sure i can do much more with my deck.

I look forward to the discussion on this topic
lohanimal
Dear Raul, If I write enough words, eventually I will make some sense. Thanks. Audiophilia is nine parts worrying about non-problems and one part solving actual problems. The vendors benefit from all ten parts of this obsession. I think now (based on some light research I just did) that the aluminum alloy platter can block RFI fairly well, so we only have to "worry" about EMI. (That's our job, to worry.)
You might want to try a piece of carbon fiber cloth in between the mat and platter. That would afford some level of emi/rfi protection and also some mechanical damping. Hummm maybe I'll try in on my sp10...:-)
Mea culpa. According to Wikipedia, the terms EMI and RFI are synonymous. And that seems to be correct based on a dim memory of previous reading. Don't know where to go from that. If anyone hears a difference with vs without a shield, let me/us know.