2008 RMAF – – – all things analog.

I have two questions/comments on the 2008 RMAF below.

1) First thing…

Who’s Going?

I’m going for my second consecutive year. I enjoyed last year a great deal. I had wonderful discussions with analog types like Thom Mackris, Alvin Lloyd, Jeff Cantalono/Thomas Woschnik, and Frank Schroeder. I had time with my own LPs on all of their tables as well as quite a few others. I’m looking forward to this coming year as well.

If you are going to the 2008 RMAF, I’d like to know so I can meet some of you out in Denver.

2) Second thing…

Any suggested Table, Cartridge, Arms to pay particular attention to?

Again, If you are going to the 2008 RMAF, I’d like to know so I can meet some of you out in Denver.

Dre
dre_j
Slipknot1,

I wish I met you there. Couldn't make it friday night but did Saturday. Your impressions are identical to mine and your comments identical as well. The Mastersound Room sounded incredible at the Hyatt. The Symposium Speakers have me more than tempted. But.... they need the long wall which I can't do. I also wish they had SET amplification on them to hear what more they are capable of, although the Emotive gear is no slouch.
I was intigued at the Saskia turntable until I looked a bit further and found that the price was $36,000. Great sound aside, maybe it's time to question the prices of some of this equipment. I'm sure the R&D and build quality are top notch. Well, they should be. How do you arrive at a price of $36,000 vs. say $15,000(still equally ridiculous) This amount will buy you an entry level BMW with thousands of moving parts and thousands of pounds more raw materials. Don't get me wrong, I love audio equipment and I'm fortunate enough I could write a check for two of these tomorrow if I wanted to. I just can't justify it. I'm not trying to pick on the Saskia. It's just one example of how out of hand this can get if you're not careful.
Sonofjum,

perhaps you should look into designing cutting edge products and making them by hand in very small quantities r a very limited market for a living and see what prices you come up with. I think you may find that your income to work hours ratio is what's ridiculous. Those who care to push the edge and have the scratch to do it will always be the envy and/or subject of misunderstanding of those who don't. Some people might not appreciate someone practicing their instrument for 6-8 hours a day for little or no money either. You do what you gotta do.
I mean no disrepect to the designers of this product and I realize I chose the wrong place to post my opinion. My enthusiasm over cutting edge stuff like this is quelled when I realize that virtually no one can afford it.(raised in a hard working lower-middle class farm town) I appreciate people practicing/working for 6-8 hours at a time for little pay more than you know. Unfortunately, those aren't the people who will ever benefit from something like this.
Sonofjim,

you have my sympathies, but I'm not convinced that the challenges of the economics of this situation are best solved by lowering the prices of the upper echelons of this cottage industry. When as many Saskias sell as do BMWs, I'm sure we'll see lower prices. Some would have it that the Technics SL1200 is your answer. I think if you compare the two you'll find out why the Saskia has two zeros added to the price. I know it's hard to imagine how that is justified but if you actually looked into it, it would come into focus. Sorry to jump on you, but it's an all too common oversight.