Steam cleaning records 2

Continuation of large thread.
thommas
I checked out that site from Fremer and was amazed that someone would go to those extremes to clean a record.
A question for you extreme steamers. How many times do you play the record between this procedure? I can't imagine it is after every play so what do you do before playing between steams?

I don't steam my new vinyl, I think that something is wrong if I have to go to that extreme on a new platter, although i do clean them as there are usually some minor stuff on them.I do steam my records if I get a used one with some built up gunk. That is usually the last time my record will see steam as I keep them pretty good with other less invasive cleaning methods that also require much less time. I'll be damned if I am going to spend more time cleaning a recored than listening to it. That's were I draw the line.
Zen- You should, excepting for special circumstances, only need to do it once. Just store them in good-quality sleeves immediately after play, and use a carbon fiber brush just before play. Done and done.
Johnbrown : You claim to have no part of the dogfight but here you are. Who are you ? A chemist ? A doctor? Maybe someone in the audio biz? Your views are so ironclad. I find it so amazing that folks (like your self) will incriminate a process designed to enhanse the listening experience ,yet, spend thousands of thousands of hard earned dollars to be in analog without a wimper. Instead of directing fiefs do some homework. If you have not deciated time & effort to mastering steam cleaning how can you be so over-reaching? I should never be surprized at human nature. Galileo was in his time imprisoned , his family disgraced , his daughter forced to become a Nun , just because his scientific studies(using a self-designed telescope) concluded the Sun was at the centre of the "universe" not the Earth.

I have a feeling your near 60 years old. Something happens to grey-beards , they go white. No shades of grey , just white.

The whole discussion on Aqunafina was centered on finding a cheap reasonable alternative water source that is reasonablely clean, according to EPA standards. According to the Aqunafina web site they make some interresting statements.Johnbrown the object of this thread is to forward Steam Cleaning , not debate its merits with non-users. I'm done. Have a good evening.
Man, crem1, you're nothing if not cranky. This is a relatively open forum, I have as much right to be here as anyone, and my views are just as valid as yours. Re-read my post-all I disputed was your cost figure for Type 1, reagent grade water, and wanted your fan club to realize that 'Aquafina' is *not* a substitute. Again-Aquafina may be fine for your purposes, but it's not even in the same league purity-wise as Type 1, reagent grade water.

I don't use your process, but I'm sure it's fine for whomever wants to do it. But I *do* use NERL Reagent Grade Type 1 water for my final, RCM rinse and it's made a big difference in the sonics of my records. For the record, I wouldn't even consider substituting a locally-bottled 'pure' water like Aquafina for a water that is so refined it could be used to perform dialysis.

Oh, yeah, I also cautioned against taking Mikey Fremer on face value. Not that he's necessarily wrong, but he's also not above reproach. Caution is advised...

If those two comments were enough to rub you the wrong way, I apologize. And I'm looking forward to seeing your upcoming tome-'Steam-Cleaning Records:How I Changed The World As We Know It' on the NYTimes bestseller list.

via con dios