Mint Tractor

I'm sorry, I apologize, please forgive me for doubting all of you who have told me of the need for the Mint Protractor. I got it today, and just did a quick check to find that the cartridge is indeed off set up with the VPI protractor that comes with the Supercout/10.5i. I read the directions and it is a very tedious, and slow going procedure, so I'll get back in a while and tell you if I hear any differences.
128x128stringreen
Stingreen
I believe you are spot on. Its tedious work at best but worth every cent. The biggest revelation IMHO are the jet black inky silences from which the music now erupts. My jaw dropped(believe me this is not a cliche) last night listening to Shelby Lynne - Just a little lovin.The improvement in my vinyl setup post Mint is spectacular.
Thank you Yip.
Stringreen,
I'm glad to hear you're happy with your results. Downunder beat me to the punch with what he said about different verses wrong. The Mint and VPI methods may not agree but it doesn't mean the VPI is "wrong". As I understand it, no matter how you align the cartridge there will be two null points in the arc it subtends. Different alignment methods simply bias where these will fall to minimize distortion at all the other points along the arc. That's why alignment is largely a matter of taste. The Mint method satisfies most who try it which is why I think it's worth a try. I also think Yip provides a more precise tool for acheiving his method than Harry provides for his. I'm anxious to get mine in the mail and give it a try. Meanwhile, I'm glad to hear there's another satisfied customer out there.
Stringreen,

The Mint protractor certainly is a pain to use, but oh so rewarding. Incidentally, Yip told me he uses a "custom" version himself that he wouldn't dare market since the line pitch is about a third smaller than what we're using. He does however report that it is even better than the stock model. Personally, I couldn't imagine that. BTW, Yip is located in Hong Kong (so there's no confusion).

Folks, I urge you to try a GOOD arc-based protractor custom cut for your arm. You'll scratch your head wondering why you didn't try it sooner. I know some folks stick tenaciously to their "universal" alignment protractors, figuring they are close enough. The difference is akin to watching a Quasar console from the 70's vs. a nice HD plasma display...you'll get a picture on both, but one is certainly a more immersive experience than the other.

Good listening,

-Richard
I finally got around to checking my set up yesterday and found i was out by 2mm . I am running a Phantom on an Oracle tuntable. I have to use the supplied cartridge spacer to allow me VTA down adjustment.When using the supplied spacer the Graham alignment jig does not fit properly, so i had to make as close a setting as i could but was out by 2mm.
Using the MInt Tractor is a slow and tedious job but something i found enjoyable. I plan to go back and check my setup again after i find a better magnifying glass that will allow me to get closer to the stylus for a more accurate setting.
Now the sound is more focused and the highs are INCREDIBLE, the chimes , bells and cymbals ring on for ever. Each instument is more focused and can be clearly heard through out the track even if it is quietly playing in the background . I am very suprised and happy at the improvement the Mint Tractor provided.
Todd