I'm taking a poll...

Vote for A, B, or C---

Assuming all other turntable set-up parameters are dialed-in, optimum vinyl playback is achieved when:

A. You set the tonearm at level and leave it there.
B. You use your ears and adjust the VTA incrementally up or down.
C. You get the stylus to ride in the groove at a 2 degree angle forward, to match the assumed angle of the cutting stylus.
will_herrera
I go for A, life is too short to adjust VTA with each record, particularly if VTA is not adjustable on the fly. The extra factor to consider is the cartridge. I think there is no doubt VTA affects the sound, in general front down accentuates treble, back down the base. I know it is'nt as simple as that. For my last Koetsu Rosewood signature, it sounded better front down slightly, with my current Zyx Airy 3, dead level.
I do'nt think one should ignore the potential for "tuning " the sound to your preference.
How do we measure 2 degrees on something like a stylus? A profile projector. I have one at work, costs 40k, does anybody else own one?

Atlasiris,
You can look at the stylus (under magnification) from the side as it sits on a first surface mirror and adjust it for zero degrees easily. The stylus and its reflection will appear like a perfect "X". Then do a calculation that tells you how high to raise the arm to put the stylus at a 2 degree angle.
and a tonearm that has on-the-fly dial-in height (The arm base height "dial" is marked in millimeter increments), I can change cartridges faster than I can change a record and with absolute repeatable results. That said, since the wands are of differing mass, I can also hear each cartridge in an optimized environment.

I love each cartridge I use, but I must admit that depending upon the music, I do have a preference for one over the other. This is why I have had this set-up for nearly 30 years.

Cheers!