I'm taking a poll...

Vote for A, B, or C---

Assuming all other turntable set-up parameters are dialed-in, optimum vinyl playback is achieved when:

A. You set the tonearm at level and leave it there.
B. You use your ears and adjust the VTA incrementally up or down.
C. You get the stylus to ride in the groove at a 2 degree angle forward, to match the assumed angle of the cutting stylus.
will_herrera
Hi Will,

1st of all, I don't understand the 2 degrees bit. 2 degs from where to what?

2nd thing, if its SRA thats being referred to, should'nt it be 88 or 92 degrees?

How do we measure 2 degrees on something like a stylus? A profile projector. I have one at work, costs 40k, does anybody else own one?

Even if we did have it, how do you measure it and set it up on something sooooo compliant like a cantilever???

I have a solution to this. I've built an infinitely variable suspension system for the mounting of cartridges. Just tracks accurately everytime. The music, is so much more FREEEEE sounding.

Cheers!
assuming you have on-the-fly VTA, why not adjust it? It makes quite a bit of difference when the VTA is dialed in. I mark the setting on the plastic sleeve of the LP and can quickly reset for each LP.
I adjust VTA by listening to width and depth of the soundstage, and also to clean definition, but I do not adjust VTA as a tone control. Although my VPI tonearm is VERY easy to adjust on the fly...I just leave it alone once I get it to my satisfaction
I would have to say B, as on my VPI I adjust for what is TO ME the proper balance between treble and bass. I knock no one for adjusting VTA (and VTF) for different thicknesses of LP's nor for doing same for every LP. I'm just not that anal. Also, the amount of adjusting I do is inversely proportional to the amount of zinfandel or single malt I have imbibed.--Mrmitch