I'm taking a poll...

Vote for A, B, or C---

Assuming all other turntable set-up parameters are dialed-in, optimum vinyl playback is achieved when:

A. You set the tonearm at level and leave it there.
B. You use your ears and adjust the VTA incrementally up or down.
C. You get the stylus to ride in the groove at a 2 degree angle forward, to match the assumed angle of the cutting stylus.
will_herrera
I dug up that thread a few months ago and use it as a starting point. With the VTF set midway in the range I set the VTA so that the stylus is leaning forward just a bit. I have not been able to tell two degrees but I can tell vertical.

Then I use the VTF and AS to fine tune the sound. Changes to the VTF cause much more change in SRA than changing the VTA does, which is why I don't bother trying to change the VTA with different thicknesses.

There is much more on this subject on the web, though I have not been able to find the original articals mentioned.

Regards,
Todd
Dear Will: I already read your last three threads on the same subject ( how to obtain better cartridge quality performance. ) and I can see that you are " nuts " about the SRA/VTA/VTF subject.

There is no doubt that the most critical parameter between VTA and SRA ones is the SRA a parameter that for many people is unknow or mix up with VTA.

But that is not IMHO the the real subject but how achieve the best on your rig performance?.

First your system is unique against other ones out there so any advice/changes is system dependent, ears ( yours ) dependent and according with your music sound reproduction priorities that are unique ( to you ).

So, if we take the cartridge alone you have several parameters to play with and because some of those parameters have interaction each to others the " work " is a hard one and one that needs know how and patience, some of those parameters already mentioned on what the people posted: SRA/VTA/VTF/Azymuth/load impedance/overhang/etc, the problem is ( example ) that when you change the VTF you are changing ( at least ) the SRA/VTA/overhang so you have to re-setting those parameters, other example could be when you change the load impedance ( like when you change to 100 Ohms ) , in this case ( dependent on the phonolinepreamp quality ) some times you have to change other cartridge parameters before you say: " now the sound is dull " , you know what I mean?.

Now, your system ( like any other one ) has its own quality performance limitations so the cartridge overall quality performance will be good as the weak link on your audio chain, this means that the 17 D3 cartridge can be better performer in a better whole rig.

I don't know if your Rega tonearm is the best match for that cartridge and this stand alone subject makes a huge quality performance differences in any cartridge evaluation.

About the Step up Transformer subject and if you think that your active high gain phono stage is a good one IMHO there is no single doubt that adding other stages: Step Up Transformer, input RCA connectors, output RCA connectors, cable IC and a impedance mistmatch between the cartridge internal impedance and the SUT impedance only can/could make a heavy degradation to the cartridge signal quality performance and does not matters which SUT you choose.

No, I don't have the right and precise answer to you but at least you can have an almost whole view of the complex that process is and where there are non simple universal rules.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.