Weird issue with my VPI... please help

I have a VPI Scoutmaster with a Shelter 501 MKII cartridge.

This is fairly new, so cartridge has maybe 40 hours on it.

Imagine a graphic EQ where you pushed the lowest band up full... and did the same to one other band in the upper midrange... and that's what it sounds like.

I thought it was something else in the playback chain, but I've isolated it to the turntable (switched phono stages to be sure). Other sources play fine so it's not the preamp or speakers etc.

Any ideas? I don't know if it's always been like this because when I first got the turntable I had some serious speaker issues where I couldn't hear the difference between any electronics (had a very muddy sound). Now that I have that cleared up (CDs sound great) I can hear the difference between different preamps etc... so I finally sit down to hear what my new vinyl collection actually sounds like... only to find out I have a problem of sorts.

The cartridge was setup by Elusivedisc.com where I bought the turntable.

Any help much appreciated!
madfloyd
VPI can be adjusted with added weight at the headshell end. If this is how the setup was done I don't know, but that is the reason Harry provides it. When I heard the VPI/Shelter table, it sounded excellent to me. Audiofiel...I'm just stating the facts as I see/hear/read them. I'm not being biased or snotty nor am I trying to have it both ways. Read carefully what I say and take issue or not..that's what this hobby and these posts are all about. If I made my living selling high end goods to those whose interest is high end, I would be more careful in what I say...
Madfloyd... The VPI Signature 9 incher works extremely well with Dynas and Benz's. The "signature" is mainly the use of Nordost tonearm wiring (there is additional tonearm tube damping). I must admit it doesn't sound very good at all when new. My tonearm (or cartridge - but I suspect it was the tonearm Nordost) took hundreds of hours to break in. Be patient though, the rewards are great. A light bulb just went off as I wrote this. There are those that really badmouth VPI arms. I'm just wondering if they heard one that wasn't yet broken in... just wondering.
Those people who are Anti-VPI tonearm people might also check out www.high-endaudio.com/RC-tonearm.html Here is a listing of tonearms that rank the VPI 10.5i in the same category as Graham and Triplanar. Don't believe everything in print..especially on the internet, however, it is interesting.
Dynavector does work very well in the signature arm. Not bright, but well balanced (amazing with those high-rez 45 lp's). You might consider getting another cartridge, something fairly inexpensive yet good, to see if that takes care of the problem. It's good to have a spare cartridge around, too. I happen to have Fremer's set-up disc, and I'm through with it now. Send me an email, and we can probably work something out, if you like. Best of luck, Dan
Madfloyd. I upgraded to the Signature arm and never looked back. It was a very good upgrade which I would recommend. My room is an untreated living Room. If I have any problem with it, it would be its slight tendency towards brightness on some albums. I have noticed no undue brightness with the Sig arm. Tighter bass and more detail is what I heard. There is no more tendency towards brightness with the Sig arm than the standard arm. I have used a Dyna 20XL and a Benz Ebony L with great success.
As someone else has said, your problem is not the arm/cart match. I suspect a bad cartridge.