dead quiet

I read this a lot that one's system is dead quiet..Is this at all possible when playing phono? what does it really mean?
ditto
Stringreen, FWIW the hum that the Grado exhibits in the Rega is a problem with the wiring of the Rega. It can be corrected by grounding the platter bearing and the motor to the same ground that the arm uses. I have no idea why Rega does not do this themselves but they don't.

Bdgregory, I think that the term 'dead quiet' has a little salt with it. **A lot** depends on the efficiency of your speakers- if they are 89db you will probably have to put your ear to the driver to hear the background noise, but it will be there regardless of the technology of the amp or preamp.

My speakers are 97db but I am not aware of the background hiss from my listening chair, although I can hear it when I stand by the speaker.

So- 'dead quiet' has to be taken in that context. IOW, virtually dead quiet :)
Bd,

"dead quiet" IS possible...but the natural limitations of the equipment itself will always generate some sort of a wave / footprint. This is inherent wihin the materials/parts used in electronics. As simple as this sounds...if you increase your vol to around 3/4 max output and not be able to disern "annoying" sounds (hiss, hum, etc..) you are fine. Some of the most romantic tubed gear will do this (granted, on a relatively small scale)..but the music produced on these machines is breathtaking regardless.
Stringreen....Inaudible signal affects the music signal?? Not likely. But if this is true it is an argument for LOW efficiency speakers, where the inaudible signal is more dB down from the music.

If a very weak 60 Hz signal affects the rest of the spectrum what happens when the music has a strong 60 Hz tone??

Another case of IAP :-)
Atmasphere..Yes I know now, and that's what I was saying. With the slight hum gone(and no one could tell it was humming unless I brought it to their attention) the sound field had greater depth, air, clarity, etc. that we all like.

Eldarford...I don't think efficiency has anything to do with it...that's just an adjustment on the volume control. If there is a 60 cycle wave running through the music, it will lay its' imprint on all frequencies in the music..especially on the over and undertones of 60 cycles.
I hope the OP is getting something from this discussion . . . I certainly am, and appreciate all of the comments.

To be precise, from my listening chair and indeed from 2-3 ft away from my speakers, my analog rig is *dead quiet*. But if I am overcome by "irrational audiophile paranoia" and put my ear to the speakers, my analog usually has more hum/hiss than my cd player depending on the cartridge I'm using. My noisiest cartridge may indeed be audible from 2-3 ft if I crank the volume.