Best cartridge for modded Technics 1200

Hey everyone!

I recently purchased a heavily modified Technics 1200 MKII on advice from some audiogoners... The cartridge that is mounted on my arm (which is an RB-600 with cardas re-wire) is getting a bit old--its the Rega Exact 2.

I'd like to upgrade, but I'm wondering at what point cartridges eclispe the capacities of my TT.

I've heard that Dynavector (10x5) cartridges work well with Rega arms, but I was thinking about the Shelter line (501) as well (which I've read good things about). These are all about the 'mid' of my price range.

What about $1000+ish carts? Would mounting something like the 47 Labs cartridges or a low-end Koetsu make any sense on this table?
satlos
I can't comment on teh carts that you are considering, but I have a Denon DL160 on a Sumiko Headshell that I use with an SL1210. I prefer thsi combo to a VPI Scout and Dynavactor 20x that I previously had.
Tigerwoodkhorns,

I have a DL-160 on the SL1200 and can't get rid of sibilance which does not show up on finer styluses that are on the Ortofon 2M Black and retipped Denon DL103.

I really like the DL160. The slightly warm midrange, energetic expanse of the display, definition/detail, topend extension. But the stylus is it's weak spot even though it is supposed to be a finely made elliptical. I plan on getting it retipped with a fine line stylus which should rid it of all distortion, improve already good tracking, and finally rid it of all sibilance.

And why should you spend $250 for a retip on a %150-180 cartridge? Because it is a sound that is worthy aside from it's price.
Of all the cartridges I have tried so far, and I've only had a few so far, the Clearaudio Maestro is clearly the winner on headphones so far. I have not used my big rig since summer started, only been enjoying through headphones this summer.

But the Maestro MM comes with the same cantilever/needle as their high end MC lines, and this cartridge is just in another league compared to an Ortofon 2M Black, or a Denon 103sa in a UWE ebony body.

I am still using the factory needle cantilever from Denon, so I cannot comment on an aftermarket upgrade. How ever, I do believe that the cantilever/needle on the Denon is a very weak link after the stock body.

I think the more effort you invest into your table, the more rewarding it will be for you. Enjoying various cartridges/arms/preamps and the like will probably be more enjoyable once you get the 12xx setup to your liking. The potential of this table exceeds it's price expectations, so you reach a point of asking yourself is it worth it. The monetary threshold is really a question you ask yourself.
07-20-08: Gadfly
I have a DL-160 on the SL1200 and can't get rid of sibilance which does not show up on finer styluses that are on the Ortofon 2M Black and retipped Denon DL103.
When I was running a DL-160 on an SL1210 M5G, I noticed the sibilance went down slightly when I got a better phono stage. Ultimately, however, I upgraded to an Audio Technica AT150MLX and couldn't be happier. It does the things I liked about the DL-160 (even tonality, musicality, good level of detail and tracking for the money), and adds several more into the mix (better tracking, more detail, higher output, better stereo separation, smoother yet airier treble, *no more spitty sibilants*, very present and solid-sounding midrange while improving the frequency extension at both ends. Fuller yet better-defined bass).

One thing I noticed is that I needed to clean the DL-160 stylus after playing about 3 sides, but I hardly ever have to clean the AT150MLX stylus. I wonder if this resistance to build-up has anything to do with the difference in how it handles sibilants, or perhaps the difference in stylus shape avoids gunk *and* tracks sibilants better.

I really like the DL160. The slightly warm midrange, energetic expanse of the display, definition/detail, topend extension. But the stylus is it's weak spot even though it is supposed to be a finely made elliptical. I plan on getting it retipped with a fine line stylus which should rid it of all distortion, improve already good tracking, and finally rid it of all sibilance.
Like I said, if you like the DL-160, I think you'd *love* the AT150MLX. No need for a re-tip, and the replacement stylus is available for $179.95, or the price of a DL-160.
Post removed