Technics sp10 mrk2 or SL-1200mrkII

Hello. I am interested in getting a TT. I have not had one in quite some time. In talking with someone whom I respect, I was pointed in the direction of the sp10 mrk2. A friend of mine has an SL-1200mrkII. I know that I can get that from him without any issue. I also know that they are both direct drive tables. Is the sp10, leaps and bounds ahead of the 1200?
Thanks for any thoughts.
mikeduke
Plinth: a base or platform.

As we tilt at semantics here, perhaps Raul should join in.

But until he does I have seen pictures of his SP-10 Mk2. His wood platform is larger than "enough to provide real estate for mounting his tonearm". It is large enough to surround the tt with an extended section along the right side for mounting a tonearm. But is it only about 3/4" thick so is far from being considered massive. And Jack is correct, this wooden piece does not support the table. Raul's three AT suspension devices are placed under the metal bottom plate for the motor.

Anyway, I would still call his wood piece a plinth but to each his own. 8^)
Thanks for the clarifiacation fellas. It is all great info. I do infact have a very good dealer who has alot of experince setting up turntables so that is not an issue. It is the person who I am getting my Grand Prix rack from.
So I really don't need to do any setup myself. I also have another contact in which I might be able to get a complete, with plinth, ready to go sp10.

I have time for this so I am not going out and doing this tommorow. I am also sure that the SL-1200 would be a fine table to start with. I noticed that KAB has ready made tables. If I go for a 1200, do you guys just recomend that I get one of those that is on the site and customize it?
I just want to thank everyone again for their replies. It has been educational and helpful. Now, I was wondering if I could ask a comparison like question. I have access to Nottingham. I was leaning towards the Space 294. Would a KAB modded 1210MRGS or an SP10MKII compete or beat that Nottingham. I know beat is a subjective word, but would the SQ be better?
Thanks
SP10 used to be a great table in its day, but I am not sure if risking having zero support or spares and questionable history is worth it. Today I would absolutely buy a 1200.
Alex, this is precisely why I went with a new 12xx, KAB Electro-Acoustics has all the necessary modifications to make the 12xx a very good turntable.

Now if I were a 'collector' of audio equipment, I would definitely want an SP-10, the cool factor is up there with the best.