Technics sp10 mrk2 or SL-1200mrkII

Hello. I am interested in getting a TT. I have not had one in quite some time. In talking with someone whom I respect, I was pointed in the direction of the sp10 mrk2. A friend of mine has an SL-1200mrkII. I know that I can get that from him without any issue. I also know that they are both direct drive tables. Is the sp10, leaps and bounds ahead of the 1200?
Thanks for any thoughts.
mikeduke

Showing 11 responses by mikeduke

I know it will need to be "adapted". Have you heard the 1200?
Should I think about that as well or just try and get an SP10.
Thanks for the reply. In my research I saw that KAB site. I would be willing to mod it. Like I said, I may be able to get a great deal on a 1200 so I don't mind putting a little extra into getting it to sound as good as it can. Thanks again for the input.
Thanks everyone. I think I might try and get a SP10MKII down the line. I am sure they will pop up every now and then. I have this philosophy of trying to limit regret. It's tough with this hobby, but I have done pretty good so far. If the 10 is a better table then that is the one I will get.
It seems like it is a great table. Once I get my room treatments and I have my funds in order, I will see what I can do. The only thing is I need one that is ready to go or almost ready to go. I don't have the skills to work on my system myself. But, I will be looking.
Thanks Jack.
I have seen that SL-1000 on a website when I was doing my search about this table. Shipping, I would imagine, would be a gamble. So if I find a sp10, that comes with an arm and the power supply, I need a base to put it on? I just can't put it on my Grand Prix rack? Sorry if that is a dumb question.
Thanks again for all the feedback
So, if I find one with a tone arm already installed, like an EPA100, then it is safe to say that it is ready to go as is? Thanks again if it seems like you have to answer the same question over and over again.
As far as where I am on the continum, I am now on the dual path of making what I have sound the best it can and looking to get a TT.
Thanks for the clarifiacation fellas. It is all great info. I do infact have a very good dealer who has alot of experince setting up turntables so that is not an issue. It is the person who I am getting my Grand Prix rack from.
So I really don't need to do any setup myself. I also have another contact in which I might be able to get a complete, with plinth, ready to go sp10.

I have time for this so I am not going out and doing this tommorow. I am also sure that the SL-1200 would be a fine table to start with. I noticed that KAB has ready made tables. If I go for a 1200, do you guys just recomend that I get one of those that is on the site and customize it?
I just want to thank everyone again for their replies. It has been educational and helpful. Now, I was wondering if I could ask a comparison like question. I have access to Nottingham. I was leaning towards the Space 294. Would a KAB modded 1210MRGS or an SP10MKII compete or beat that Nottingham. I know beat is a subjective word, but would the SQ be better?
Thanks
I am sure that the KAB modded tables are great. And even if I go hog wild with the choices I get, it would still be less then the other option I was thinking about. I am jones'n to get a table in my setup. To show you how desperate I am, I am going to put my old kenwood in my setup when I am able to get a shelf and preamp. I have no doubt that a KAB table would be MUCH better then that table. The choice is half the fun right?

Let's say I get the KAB 1200. Is it worth it to uograde the cartridge to say a Dynavctor DV-17D3? Or an even better arm like a Moerch or SME or the like at some time?
Thanks again.
Thanks for the reply Alex. I was just throwing the ideas out there. I was already playing arround on the KAB website just seeing what a table would run me. All and all, really not that bad. Even though it may not match an SP10, I may really think about this. I need to contact someone to see what, if anything, could be worked out in regards with a SP10. Just so I know.