vintage turntables?

i dont know, but vintage technics, jvc, and pioneer are the only decks ive had experience with, but they have a special appeal to me. it seems to me that theres all these super fancy turntables out there, and im sure they sound really great, but things like funk firm, the pro-ject rpm aren't the same to me. they're not what i picture a turntable to be. anyone else out there feel the same way? i think what it comes down to is the look. maybe i'm just crazy, i dont know. haha
128x128chuckelator
man...thats great...i have an old marshall guitar amp that needs to be retubed and somethings messed up with the inputs...ill have to have him look at that as well.
Chuck: Check out the Revolver TT offered on AG . What a great buy. Everything costs something ... Se Ya
Schipo, I heard the Nakamichi tt at Garland's in San Jose. As I remember it, it did make a difference(at a very high cost), but it still sounded like the direct-drive turntables of that era(not too good). BTW, people should be aware that many of these Technic's turntables that are raved about do not sound good stock. So, you have to modify them to get the sound that is talked about.
Gentlemen I am an avid vintage equipment collector. At the same time I have the audiophile bug in me. I have been reading this thread for some time now and some posts really make my laugh, others just make me shake my head. To the fellow that bought a Sota Cosmos III and had it upgraded to a Cosmos IV and then he fell for a Technics all i have to say is that his Comsos must have had some major issue with the electronics. For a moment reading this post I thought I had written it and had forgoten about it up to a certain point. You see I also bought a Cosmos III (used) and had it upgraded to a IV and NOTHING absolutely NOTHING mentioned in this thread can handle a candle to it. I had a Technics 1200 MK V that I used in my secondary system that I also put up against the Cosmos. It did not have the KAB upgrades and could not even hold a canlde to the Cosmos. I got rid of it, I could not stand this D-J look and the sound was cold and uninvolving with my Grado Reference cartridge. Now I own a Sony PS-X600 with a Shure 97 whatever cartridge, a Pioneer PL 570 (wooden base) and my pride and joy a Yamaha PF-800 by far the best of the bunch. I love the Grado sound and have used Grados for over a decade now and both the Pioneer and the Yamaha have Grado Sonatas on them). Each time I bought one of these vintage jewels I wished they had the cojones to displace the Sota but each time the Cosmos proved to be the musical 800 LB gorilla in my main system. Please read: I WNATED one of the vintage TTs to displace the Cosmos! I would sell it use the money for other stuff! My wishes were not asnwred! The Cosmos always sounded the best. Needless to say I always used my Grado Reference on the "contenders" just to keep the fight even...

I have kept the Pioneer and the Yamaha and I am going to give the Sony to my teenage daughter as a gift. She is also bitten by the audiophile bug...

The last couples of years or so I have acquired various vintage receivers ( Sansui 9090, Pioneer SX 1080, Sansui AU 717, Marantz 2275B, Sansui PX-800, Sony PS-X600, Pioneer PL 570, Kenwood KR-6600, Klipsh legacys II, Klipsh Forte etc. etc.). I have put each and every onw of these against my audiophile rig (Musical Fidelity KW 500, Egglestone Andra II speakers, Sota Cosmos with Origin Live Conqueror arm and Grado Reference cartridge, monarchy Audio M24 DAC and an older Yamaha CDX-810UCD player that I use as a transport) and the results have always been the same: No contest! I enjoy those as much as can be and I am always on the lookout for something "new" and different but I also know that science and technology does go ahead and given the same standards of build and quality newer technology outperforms older one. And this applies to cars, stereo equipment, Home appliances, airplanes and pencils.

Wishful thinking aside you can dream that your vintage TT or receiver can beat their modern equivalents any time of the day but in the end it will all be just that: Wishful Thinking. No, you do not have to be afraid of the super pricey TTs and I do agree that a lot of them are mostly hot air and moronic pricing but please come down to earth and smell the roses. Or just live your dreams and be happy. Thinking about it my POS chryshler Pacifica does handle better that that overpriced lexus, mercedes or Ferrari...or is it even better than those if I soup it up???

Enjoy the hobby guys...do not take this too seriously.

Cheers
Musicgioni, it kinda depends on the Technics doesn't it? This seems to be at the crux of what you were saying. The 1200 is an OK machine, nothing special. If you want to hear a better one, you need an SP-10 MkII or MkIII.

The 1200 is easy to find, the SP-10 is not, and when you find one be prepared to spend real money.

Most vintage machines are easily surpassed by newer 'tables today. But there are a few older machines that have a following, and mostly because they keep up with newer machines (although usually they need refurbishment and then an update, which in some cases is extensive).

These machines, as far as I can tell are the Technics SP-10s, the Garrard 301, the Lenco idler-drive, the Empire 208 and not a whole lot else (although I might have missed one...). These machines have several features in common: heavy platter, robust precision bearing, robust drive system: overall good speed stability. Most older machines suffer acoustic resonance problems, which are usually a good portion of the update applied. Often you wind up with a machine that would cost as much as a new one too :)