Ortofon SPU Synergy

Hi,

has anyone else here tried the Ortofon SPU Synergy? Whats your impressions, which parameters do you aplly in setting up the sytsem? I use this wonderful cartridge for more than 2 weeks now.

Best regards

Ron
xronx
Hey David,
Take a look at Art Dudley's Listening in this month's Stereophile. He has been rebuilding a Thorens 124 and is using an EMT 12" arm with the Synergy SPU. You may also want to checkout the octaveaudio-usa.com site regarding the Thorens Schopper rebuilds and information on the Ortofon arms and cartridges.
Thanks Ron!
I would describe the Reference the same way. It will be nice to hear the Synergy against it!
Hey David,

I have the same plans for the near future...getting a TD124 with a 12" arm, but I now have a 3012R on my Nouvelle Platine Verdier wich should be replace by a EMT 12" therefore the SME should be mounted on the TD124.

For the beginning a SPU classic will do a good job and it's a timeless classic, which makes you forget about hifi. Once I heard a set up of TD124, SPU classic, 3009 and Croft tube electronics on Harbeth speakes at the AAA-Forum (a exhibition mainly for vinyl playback) an this was the very best sound on show, even compared to "all out" installations costing significant more.

One thing to take into account is the right phono amplification, step up transformer. I use the Auditorium23 Hommage T1 and Audio Note Japan AN-S6c and tried a lot of others. The difference are not subtle. It needs a good matching trqansformer to really make the SPU "sing" On my former Gryphon Orestes phonostage I never liked the SPU classic as much as with a good step up over my Paragon 12a tube preamp.

Best regards

Ron
Hey Ron
I am a begginer in this "concept" and I have so many things to learn and work on...
-The 12' arm: Ortofon dynamic or static(?), EMT, SME 3012...
-The right SPU:From the information I have been able to analyse I feel very close to the Synergy.
-An now...phono preamplification: I was thinking to use my Cello RMC but I am also understanding transformers should be considered.
As you see, I need help in every direction. I live in Spain and retailers here are looking somewhere else so internet is going to be the way.
Regards.David
Hey David,

You know it is really hard to feel sorry for you living in Spain. Give Christine an email over at schopper.ch...they are located a little east of you over the Alps. I have found her to be really informative and helpful. She recommended the Ortofon Synergy SPU, T 100 step-up (BTW, Ron's Auditorium23 Hommage T1 would be stunning...Ken A. is located in Germany), and the AS 309s arm. You also have the advantageous pleasure of not having to pay the frieght in USD! Good luck from Texas.