I walked into a dealer and got a shock....

I walked into a local Hi-Fi dealer with what I thought was just a turntable (Reaga P25 with Sumiko Blackbird Cart) needing minor repair. My vinyl sound has been a bit thin and the platter was making a grinding noise at startup and sometimes needing a push to get the platter moving. I described the rest of my system (Pro-Ject Tube Box SE II, Linn Kollektor, Mac MC402, Dali MS5's) and the size of my room (14x16) and the fact that the CD playback (Marantz DV7600)
It was suggested that my system was not matched and basically "too much electronics for a room that size". They recommended I replace the Linn preamp and the Mac Amp with an Audio Research VSi55 integrated (tubes). The price of the AR is about half of what I paid for the items that would be replaced. I understand price does not always equal performance. But I am shocked, especially since I just bought these items. Any thoughts on this suggested combination?
azmoon
I second the poster how suggests 'let me try it in my system'. Yes, that means a loaner, for a least two weeks of time, with a written agreement of the terms. Some dealers will want a credit card number to put a credit card hold on the amount of the unit. Don't let them do it. If a loaner is not part of the dealer's business model, move on.
Pure BS. Don't pay them any mind unless there's something that you think is lacking, then address that.

They saw that you believe in good equipment and have the money to spend when motivated, so they tried to motivate you.

Your electronics will certainly handle a much larger room, but that's no reason to downgrade it. You fit the amp to the room with the volume control. You have equipment that will work for decades in a wide variety of envirnonments. It's not what I have, but it's what many consider "the best" so don't worry about it.

If you MUST spend some money, buy a better speaker cable or upgrade your ICs.

Dave
I'm not sure I fully agree with everyone here. It's really just the amp that's the issue. Could the dealer have been guessing that the MAC amp is just loafing along? In a small room, it would not be operating in anything like its optimal, middle range, whereas the ARC, being lower power, might be performing more within its optimal performance range. Plus, you'd have a tube line section, which many prefer. It would save some space. If you try it, you may prefer it. However, if you're going down this path, a used VAC Avatar might be better.
The Mac does just fine "loafing along". Its middle range is not "optimal" and it will operate at it's highest specifications with low loads. Where do you guys come up with this crap?

The OP never said he was having any problems other than with his TT. So why are we now questioning his amplifier. (A damn good one at that). These guys just sized him up and are trying to make him feel insecure to make a sale.

Dave
The person went into the dealer with a known problem and in the course of a discussion described the rest of his system. Nothing unusual there. At that point I think it's fair game for the dealer to comment on the system and to make suggestions. I don't think it's a big deal. I have no idea whether what they suggest would improve his system, but if they are willing to give you a loaner, where's the harm?