young and new to analog.

i'm 22, and am just now getting into analog sound, and was wondering if anyone in the baltimore/dc area could recommend a shop that i could find decent turntables. and suggestions as to what turntable to start with. with my current income situation, i'm looking to spend in the area of 300-500 bucks (if i get the job i just applied for, probably more) and i was looking at (based on reviews) that a pro-ject debut III with the speed box mkII would be a good way to get into the game. any other suggestions welcome.

also, as far as recievers, phono stage, and speakers go, i'm looking at those in the same price range, and have yet to decide. any help would be appreciated!

-chuck
128x128chuckelator
I too went with the VPI HW19 JR route. I actually liked and still have it today (10 years later!), although I am looking to upgrade now. I have never listened to the technics tables, so I can't speak for those. Just thought I would throw out another suggestion besides Technics, although those may be fine tables.

I suggest calling or contacting various TT manufacturers and trying to locate the nearest dealers. Then you can make a trip and listen for yourself. Most of all, have fun with it. Some of the dealers may have used tables too! I bought my JR used from a dealer.

and as far as the other components go, any recommendations for what to check out? i don't plan on using anything but a turntable, as i dont normally listen to the radio, and the only cd player i need is in my car (which i have rarely used since i have had an ipod for the past year) so i guess a pre-amp, phono stage, and speakers is what i'm looking at here? (any other suggestions would be kindly taken) and cables? i have no clue about the quality of these things, since ive never really had the need for it. thanks again for helpin the newb out!
You'll need a power amp too, but the best route for you to go might might be with an integrated amp (pre and power in one box). You'll save money and room. I've been using a Rotel 1062 for the past 3 years and have gotten some great use out of it. It's also got a decent phono stage. It's definitely not the best out there, but for the money it does a decent job. You might be able to pick up a used one here fairly cheap. Maybe check out Arcam too--theirs might sound a little better than the Rotel. Separates will almost always end up costing more money than an integrated.
Chuck,

I will also remark that you should consider a Technics SL-1200MKII, with or without KAB USA mods. If your budget allows get the arm rewired and then the fluid damper. You can mount the damper yourself but have Kevin at KAB USA do the rewire.

Another vinyl route is to try to land a higher quality vintage table from any of the major Japan Inc. companies. Denon, JVC, Kenwood, Sansui, Pioneer to name a few. Back in the late 70's and early 80's each had very good quality direct drive with quartz lock designs. These will give many of the lower priced say sub $1000 turntables today a run for the money.

For amplifiers if you want solid state consider along with others noted here Cambridge Audio integrated amps. If you want to go tubes, do not be afraid of a good China Inc. brand say a Yaqin, Music Angel, Bewitched, Ming Da etc. These are better than many may think and go for very good values today.