young and new to analog.

i'm 22, and am just now getting into analog sound, and was wondering if anyone in the baltimore/dc area could recommend a shop that i could find decent turntables. and suggestions as to what turntable to start with. with my current income situation, i'm looking to spend in the area of 300-500 bucks (if i get the job i just applied for, probably more) and i was looking at (based on reviews) that a pro-ject debut III with the speed box mkII would be a good way to get into the game. any other suggestions welcome.

also, as far as recievers, phono stage, and speakers go, i'm looking at those in the same price range, and have yet to decide. any help would be appreciated!

-chuck
128x128chuckelator

Showing 1 response by carter9000

I too went with the VPI HW19 JR route. I actually liked and still have it today (10 years later!), although I am looking to upgrade now. I have never listened to the technics tables, so I can't speak for those. Just thought I would throw out another suggestion besides Technics, although those may be fine tables.

I suggest calling or contacting various TT manufacturers and trying to locate the nearest dealers. Then you can make a trip and listen for yourself. Most of all, have fun with it. Some of the dealers may have used tables too! I bought my JR used from a dealer.