How many People own Working Reel to Reel Decks?

I just bought a very nice condition Revox A-77 on Ebay and I have to say I love the sound of tape. I wish I had done this years ago when it made more sense. I see that good quality reel to reel decks are getting snapped up on Ebay and I am wondering who is buying them and what they plan on listening to (prerecorded music or tapes they make). How many people here on audiogon actually own a reel to reel that works and they use it regularly? Thanks.
Mark
mepearson
Well, I use a Teac 3300s (in my main system), a Sony TC-755 and a Revox B-77 in secondary systems. Been using reel to reel since about 1975. My Revox is half track, so I use it primarly for live recording. The Teac (my absoulte favorite machine) is so quite that noise reduction of any type is unecessary. Truthfully, I have had Akai, Sony, Teac, Revox, Phillips, Ampex and Pioneer reel to reels over the years. They are all very well made, and built to last. I favor the Teac because of the smoothness of the transport, and the overall solidity of the machine. It is also very quite. I like the Sony because you'll never wear out the Ferite heads. (Akai glass heads a little noisy for me) The Revox is nice, but I hate the charcoal grey plastic. Any how, enjoy. Oh, Guitar Center is a great source for open reel tape. You have to have them order it.
Norman
I still use reel decks. These inlcude; Studer 807, two Otari MTR-10's, Otari MTR-15; Tascam 42, Tascam 52, Magnecord 1022, Teac X-1000RBL.
i have a akai 630dss 10" 4 track/four channel that i bought new in '78. works ok but getting a little w&f @ 3.75 ips. i'm afraid it may have a slightly bent capstan from a few falls back in the mid '80s.
it sat in storage for 17 years; set it up again about 2 months ago.
7.5 ips seems ok.
i've put a 'shim' between the panel where the capstan sticks out and the panel under it. w&f is reduced but still needs a little more work.
For the guys with 2track 15ips ability the Tape Project Tapes are a sound to be heard.