Loricraft Record Cleaning

I've put off buying a record cleaning machine for years now, and doing it by hand is just getting old (So am I for that matter). Seems like everyone has an opinion on which machine is best, but nothing really negative on the Loricraft machines.

I'm looking for a used machine if possible, and if someone has one and is tired of cleaning records period, let me know. If you can point me to a solution or have a reason why I'm completely out in left field, that's helpful as well.

Thanks for the input!
Paul
pkubica
I posted earlier about not knowing whether the Loricraft would be worth the extra expense compared to the VPI 16.5...well, I still can't say much about that, but I can tell you that the cleaning process is much more pleasant and thorough. The additional suction the Loricraft has gets that record dry! I always found the VPI left things a little damp (maybe using too much solution?).

My feeling is the record is more thoroughly cleaned, too. It may be also be a combination of using all the great cleaning solutions that are sent with the machine.

Records cleaned with the Loricraft are quieter on my turntable and appear cleaner to the eye.
Well I just did some very smart or very stupid - depending upon one's perspective. It seems yesterday the price of the Loricraft went up 20%.

I snuck an order in for a PRC3 with the hinged cover at the last moment (maybe too late now but it's worth a try).

Speaking with one of the folks at SmartDev - it seems that the sucking pressure at the tip between the 3 and 4 model is negligible, since the tip can only flow so much. The info I got seemed to indicate the better pump is balanced into 2 halves, so it is smoother, and would have a longer life.

This would not have an effect on fluid trails left, though getting some on the lead out and in area is normal, and can just be dried with a paper towel.

Wow, this is way more than I thought I'd ever spend on a record cleaner, but a 20% price increase just makes it even more out of reach, and the chances of getting one here used are slim. They mentioned that only 1 unit has ever been returned within the 30 day return policy and that was due to cost, not performance. Once I started investigating an upgrade to my 16.5, the price just kept creeping up closer and closer to the Loricraft, and in the end I'd just end up with something that functioned similar to the 16.5 I already own- though about 40-50% quieter.

One thing I did find out about the Hannl is that the cleaning tube is easily removable, so you can have 2 for different fluids. The Clearaudio could not do this, so it was scratched from my list.

Emailists,

Congratulations! You will not be unhappy with your purchase. I have enjoyed my new Loricraft 4 for about a month and have cleaned ~75 albums. I have not listened to a single CD since I received the Loricraft because I've been cleaning and listening to LP's. The Loricraft has significantly increased the performance gap between vinyl and digital in my system (Linn LP12/Ittok/Dynavector and SimMoon Andromeda). I am constantly amazed how much music was locked away in those grooves. I have come to regard a good RCM as important as any other electronic component in a high quality vinyl system. Enjoy!

Jazdoc
I found a site that has some great tweeks and setup suggestions for the Loricraft. They suggest a hose clamp over the tube that goes to the bottle for a 25% increase in suction.

http://mintlp.com/wild/loricraft.htm
I've read your enthusiastic comments and I would like to share some of my impressions, because I think, it can make some things more clear.

Let's say, it is not that important how you put your fluid onto the surface, much more important is:
How to remove it (completely or as good as possible)?

Based on various machines there are 2 kind of Types (in general).
1. Surface Vaccuum Record Cleaning Machine

You can put your cleaning solution manual, semi- automatic or full automatic onto the record and it will be removed via Brush with a slot which can be moved across the whole record.
Some examples for those
Nitty Gritty, VPI, Hannl, Clearaudio,

Their main advantage is, that they are fast, 2 turns and the job is normally done.
Cleaning result can vary from nice to good, but definetly better than nothing.
Some are loud, some have static problems, some can do only a few records, then the brush is wet and the vaccuum is not able to make the records really dry. Most get hot or can not do more than a few records otherwise the user gets deaf or the fluid container is full ....

2. Point vaccumm Record Cleaning Machine
These units use not a brush to remove the fluid, here they have a kind of Tonearm with a vacuum hose in it and they "suck" the fluid inside from groove to groove while the Arm moves from center to the outside (or the other way), driven by a motor.
It takes much more time but the cleaning result is superior.
There is a string between the vaccum tip and the record to guarantee a height difference between these 2 points. The fluid will be sucked into this tip, this one can not damage the record surfaceand, the fluid will be removed from groove for groove.

They are more expensive, because there is much more know how and parts neccessary (Motors for the string, for the Tonearm, for the Platter ....)
Their motors are generally much more silent, their vaccum pressure is simply something totally different (much higher).
The most famous unit is the Keith Monks, based on its superior cleaning result, low noise and unbelievable good working condition.
It is used in big record collections all over the world.
The Loricraft is a copy from this one.
The best out there is an improved original Monks, made in Germany, it is called Odyssey. The cleaning Procedure is identical to Monks (it is not possible to improve that), but the parts inside are the best you can buy for money.

Conclusion
Based on different kind of Designs, the cleaning process will show differences. From my experience with some of those units, all do a good job, because it is simply better than nothing.
Then are some comfort features in some units and the next step is:
How do they do it?

And here everyone can find his personal solution, how much he wants to use it and what results he wants to have.

Happy Listening.