Built-in phono stages

Lots of high-end preamps include built-in phono stages. Any opinions on whether the pros (well reviewed, fewer boxes / cables) outweigh the cons (flexibility)?

I'm thinking, in particular, of the phono stages in the preamps from Ayre, Boulder and Halcro.
kthomas
I'm really happy with my Modwright SWLP. It has the SWP phono preamp incorporated into an upgraded SWL linestage.
The darTZeel full-function preamp is remarkable. It is in a different league above that of the CAT.
I used a Janus from Aesthetix and it was magnificent. I had to sell it to raise cash just recently, and boy was I sorry to see it go. My separates (Blue Circle linestage and EAR 834p) that I still owned went back into the main system, and what a disappointment it was to hear it! (And those are GOOD products!)
I'm a believer in integrated phono stages now. The one drawback is that many integrated phono stages do not have the gain and loading adjustments that we all want to have. The Janus did have gain and loading adjustments, however.

Cheers.
I am extremely happy with my Joule LAP 150 MKII full function preamp. The phono section is the Joule OPS-1 which is the same phono preamp that was used in the previous Joule preamps. It has 60 db of gain and the impedance can be varied but I just use 47K for my Benz Ebony.
I've had several full function Cats and while their phono section is quite nice for MM's and higher output MC's, anything less than around .5mv and you can forget it. I ran an Ultimate II with Klyne 7PX3.5 phono for a few years and loved that combination.

I'm currently running an Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk3 w/phono and have to agree with what Atmasphere said regarding cables and separates. My system took a gigantic leap forward when I made the change. I was a bit skeptical about having enough gain to properly drive my .03mv XV-1s but Ralph assured me I'd be happy with the set-up and that turned out to be an understatement.

The MP-1 also allows for easy cartridge loading without having to remove the top; no soldering or DIP switches to mess with either. A couple threaded loading terminals on the rear panel above the phono inputs make for fast and secure attachment of any type of resistor you may care to audition.

A final thought, the three preamps you mention under consideration are all solid state. Before you pull the trigger you may want to audition a couple good tube units for comparison.

Having owned my fair share of SS gear in years past then moving on to tubes, I'd never go back; amps or preamp. I'd be surprised if you don't find tubes to flesh out images better offering up a more 3-dimensional and believable soundstage. Just another opinion from the peanut gallery!