Graham Phantom vs Triplaner

Wondering about the sonic traits of both these arms compared to each other.

- which one has deeper bass,
- which one has the warmer (relative) balance
- which one is compatible with more cartridges
- which one has the better more organic midrange
- which one has the greater treble detail.
- which one plays music better ( yes this is a more subjective question ).
- which one goes better with say the TW acoustic raven TT.
downunder
BTW,forgot to mention another point(just some opinionated thoughts.....hopefully taken,"as meant", in good spirits)regarding the supposed "fabulosity" of the "Raven",which I have heard quite a few times(I have no issue with it,and it seems like a very fine table).I DO like the product,alot....BUT...
One thing,mentioned by Valin,....He states a "lack of air"!He goes on about a "lack of spacial characteristics between instruments on the sounstage".Also,there is mention of a somewhat "dark coloration"!He felt the need to add a platter mat,and there is NO effective clamping system!Some would view this as "not so hot"!!How can one be sure the LP is lying "ideally" flat.I guess Valin doesn't think that is so important to good sound!-:)
Yet,it is a RAVE review!!!.....I know this is compared to the wonderful Walker(I've heard that table a load of times,and "it" IS great),but it does make one "think",I would hope!!!Unless one takes these reviewers too literally.
BTW,just so you know where I am coming from,I would gladly own a Raven,but I am happy with alternatives,of which there are many, in the hobby.To me,there are many ways to get really good sound.
WE all split hairs WAY too much,but it IS fun!!
Best.
Sirspeedy I'm not in the industry in any way....I'm an Architect.
Firstly I said that I've never heard the Triplanar arm....I said that the Agent for these arms in Australia just happens to be the CEO of Continuum Audio Labs.
I've heard the Phantom and the Cobra and the Copperhead in domestic settings (not show conditions or dealer rooms)....which puts me ahead of you in having any valid opinions on these arms?
I've heard the Rockport Sirius with its air-bearing arm, the Continuum Caliburn with Cobra arm and the Raven AC with Copperhead all in domestic listening conditions....in fact I'm the first and at this stage only person in the world who has heard the Copperhead on the Raven (I know this because Thomas had not drilled a Copperhead armboard before mine and Continuum had not supplied any Copperheads without the Criterion Tables).
If I were in the States, I wouldn't buy anything other than the Phantom or Triplanar because of the dire condition of the US$, but if audiophiles want to know what the State Of The Art is?.....it is NOT the Phantom or Triplanar IMHO.
No I have not compared the Cobra to the Copperhead to the Phantom to the Triplanar on the SAME Raven AC with the SAME cartridges...........although it would be possible for reviewers to do so (don't hold your breath).
If you are clinging to that fact to proclaim that the majesty of the Phantom arm has NOT been challenged?.....then you are welcome to do so. However if you presume that this is the ONLY test that is valid why don't YOU do it?
Finally for someone who claims to not care what Fremer and Valin say in their reviews?......you certainly quote them a lot!?
heh Gents
I changed to the damped bearing on the weekend and I am a happy audiophile again.

Big difference between 12.6 and 12.7 arm's for the VPI HRX. the music now has the required fullness in the upper mids / lower treble combined with great transparency and dynamics. records just sound great from start to finish - one of the positive attributes of a 12 inch arm.

I don't need to think about sinking more money into another table - not for a while anyway :-)

I am now starting to really appreciate my expensive speakers that I spent my life savings on!!.

thanks to Sirspeedy for nudging me to try the 12.7 arm and especially HW at VPI.

Now to what about the RIM drive :-)

cheers

Shane
Halcro,you do exhibit some(healthy) sarcasm in your response to me.Fine!
I,like you have heard ALL arms mentioned(by me) in domestic situations!
OK,so the guy who is the CEO of Continuum,and is the Australian agent for Triplanar likes "his" design better.Not a big stretch,and I can understand you taking his word on it,if he is a good friend who's ears you trust.Let's leave that one alone.
I certainly don't cling to any "fact about any supossed superiority of "any" particular design.I've heard a few arm/tables too.Including the Rockport(two different models)in domestic settings.
If you think I am clinging to anything giving more credibility to my own choice of a Phantom,or my appreciation of the refined over time Triplanar,than you truly miss my point.Completely!!
I have no interest in an A/B comparison of my own,and YES there was a time when these types of arms were compared,in the OLD long since missed TAS!!
As to the sarcastic mentioning of my recollection of what MF or JV has stated,it is my hobby,and I have a good memory!!More than that I cannot say.
I repeat my contention that you have no real world way of knowing about your " assumption" of the Copperhead's superiority over the Phantom or TRI,which you DO mention,with certainty!
You HAVE NOT MADE THE NECESSARY A/b COMPARISONS TO MAKE SUCH A CLAIM!...SORRY,BUT THAT IS THE CASE.NO?
Hey,Halcro...I am sorry for the seeming tone of my last post.I was being hurried off the computer by my daughter,and accidentally hit the "CAPS" key.This surely looked like I actually was getting excited!Whether one believes me or not,I really don't care all that much if product "A" is better than product "B"(so long as my own music sounds good,to me).I have always stated that I am a fan of "all things audio".A life long hobby,so maybe that is a reason for my memory of "all things audio" being fairly good..Including reviews,which are still only opinions.
You are a hobbyist who seems to be passionate about a particular product.I have no doubts about that product being superb!!!
Whether one believes me or not,about my approach to audio "fandom",I can only stste that many wonderful designs intrigue me.
I would love to(like you seem to have done,with the Copperhead)proclaim the Transfiguration Orpheus as "the best",but I could not possibly do so,even though private E-mails by high brow industry folks have told me so. I really cannot take another person's word for something as "absolute",unless I have heard it for myself,under the conditions necessary.Not really viable in today's world,as you have stated.You are 100% correct!!!I've heard some seemingly well "reviewed" set-ups that I did NOT get!Lucky to have heard them,though,but a definite learning experience,about following one's own road!
Accept my remarks as non confrontational,if you can.You certainly have the right to express your enthusiastic opinion,about something you know to be excellent!!Without this kind of feedback,this forum would not be as interesting to me.BTW,if you send me a Copperhead,I will be happy to give it an enthusiastic go-round-:)I cannot afford it any other way.
Best.
Best.