Rega hum

Rotel RC-1090 pre
Rotel RB-1092 amp
Rega P5, TT PSU, Exact cartridge.

Noticed this weekend an annoying hum in the background especially with nothing playing on the TT and volume up. What do I need to do to rid this hum? I realize Regas are grounded internally. BTW, table is completely stock. All equipment is plugged into a Rotel RC-1040 power conditioner. Thanks for all suggestion.
miner42
Hello Miner42:

If you upgrade the power cord start with the preamp. Do you have a local dealer? They should lend you a cord or 2 to try, hopefully ones that are broken-in. You would hear immediately if it makes a difference or not with the hum. Whether or not it helps the hum it should improve your overall sound especially if you're using a stock cord now. Then the can of worms if officially open. Power conditioner? Upgraded power outlet in the wall. Dedicated circuits. Nuclear reactor in the basement.... it's endless.
It definitely has to do with the cartridge/phono section. With all power off accept the pre/amp and phono chosen, I get the hum when volume is turned up. I move the arm over and place stylus on an LP (not running), the hum is still there (thought activating the magnets in the cartridge might stop hum). I'll try placing the DVR cable box between amp & pre.
Try also different combinations of where things are plugged in. Most amps/preamps if the are separate units like to be plugged into the same source to prevent ground loop hum. Try that or try plugging the TT into a different outlet, even try running a long extension cord from another circuit just to test it.
I am pretty sure the hum is caused by EMI since I get it with table power off - just not sure which source is the culprit right now. All my equipment is plugged into a Rotel RLC-1040 power conditioner. With table off, amp & pre on, when I turn volume to 50% I can hear teh hum through each speaker which tells me the cartridge is picking up some interference.