Shipping a VPI TT, Arm & Cartridge. Help Needed

I just purchased a VPI HW-19 MKIII TT, an SME 309 tonearm with a Benz Ref Silver cartridge. I had my uncle in California pick it up for me. I am in PA, so it has a long journey and I am very nervous about the items getting here safely! He is near the San Francisco/San Jose/San Mateo area and I am wondering if there is a reputable hi-end audio store around there that could pack it safely for him or maybe even one of you guys could help out? Thanks for any help, Jeff
musky1963
I have the original boxes, but all those little pieces of foam and cardboard is a major intellectual exersize to place in the proper spots. I'd still have someone else pack it.
Contact VPI and ask for a dealer reference in the area. Sounds like the dealer would keep the original materials(being a major intellectual exercize) for shipping thier customer's tables when brought in for upgrades/repair.
If you can't find a dealer to handle this properly for you, and assuming your uncle can disassemble it, and you know how to reassemble it, I would have him take it apart and package **each part** separately in its own box (using appropriate packaging). If each part is boxed separately it's less of an issue what type of padding is used, so bubble wrap and (yes, even) peanuts will be good for your purpose. Packing/shipping parts will be safer and probably cost you less than asking a dealer to pack it for you.

So for example, remove the Tonearm (remove the cartridge first). This is the most fragile part . . . make sure it's securely wrapped up and there's good cushion in an strong box. Similarly, pack the dust cover separately - need a strong box for it. Remove the platter . . . etc. Once you get it down to the plinth/chassis you have the heaviest part. Some of these individual boxes may fit together safely inside another box, but I wouldn't go overboard trying - you won't save that much money. All of the boxes/material you need can be bought at UHaul or Staples, etc.

This is perhaps more bulletproof than you need but I've had 2 TT's packed by dealers and shipped to me and BOTH arrived damaged because they tried to put everything in one box. And for god sake, do NOT let the UPS store package it for you. It's just as good as asking them to hold on to your cash (whatever you paid for the TT) for the 3 months it will take until they honor the insurance claim.

Here's a link that also shows some principles for packing TT and may help: TT Packing
I had UPS pack a Rega P25 turntable for me once. It arrived to the buyer totally trashed. After several months of hasseling both the UPS store and UPS, I finally got the insurance money.

I wouldn't suggest having UPS pack a turntable.