Stand out phono stages

This topic has been started before by others and myself as well, maybe too many times, but it is worth revisiting since the source is so very important!
So far I have had the pleasure to enjoy two worthy phono stages: the EAR 834p and the JLTI.
I have to admit they are spectacular. Obviously the record and all the equipment downstream play a role in the sound heard. In some cases I prefer the JLTI and in other cases the EAR. But neither out do the other dramatically.
What phono preamps outshine others by a big margin, those that can be considered the last phono preamp ever needed.
pedrillo
I think you should also listen to Modwright SWP 9.0 SE phonostage. I own one and I tried a few phonostages before settleing with the Modwright. I tried Eastern Electric Minimax, ASP, Graham Slee Era Gold V, and the phonostage in my McIntosh preamp. None of them suites my listening pleasure like the Modwright. You have to experience this unit for yourself, because its difficult for me to describe its performance. The only think I would like to see in this unit is to be able to change capacitance, and have all adjustments on the front panel. I like the SAP in that respec. Try the Modwright before making a purchase decision, you might be pleasantly surprised as I did.
anyone here tried the accuphase C-27 ?

http://www.accuphase.com/model/c-27.html
For the 'budget' list- has anyone had experience with the Luxman E-1 (now discontinued) and E-200 phono stages? Luxman use (I believe) an inbuilt transformer to amplify the MC signal to approximately MM level and then an inbuilt 'normal' amp to bring it up to line level. They look like beautifully made units and Luxman products are very good value. And, on the subject of transformers...

What about the use of a separate transformer/MM phono combo? This style of phono amplification may be considered old hat, but there are some very nice transformers out there and the rationale does makes sense. I was thinking of buying the Ortofon Verte transformer (dual mono, good make) to use with a quality MM stage (Graham Slee Reflex Era Gold?) as a moderately priced phono option with my Ortofon MC. Any thoughts on other superior quality stand-alone MM stages (not with a MC stage included)? Has anyone used the Ortofon Verte?
i have to second the nagra i am sure there is better, but it does SO SO much so right. ditto their preamp.