educate me

Can someone help me or point me in the right direction about phono cartridges? Specifically...if I buy a table (project Expressions3) and it come with a MM cart. do I have to stick with MM or can I move to MC and would I want to? High outout vs Low output, Are there advantages to one over the other. I understand how they work, but sonically speaking what can I expect? Thanks
texron
I havent heard them side by side. I am a real fan of clearaudio equipment and in particular their cartridges. That said, due to the exchange rate they are not always a great buy and Im not sure you couldnt find a better table for that sum. Also there is the used market here on audiogon where some spectacular bargains can be found. Contact Johan at Highendbroker about the clearaudio he is a great guy with super pricing on CA equipment. Take your time and keep reading and asking questions and going to as many dealers as you can. My advise is to find a moderately priced table with a good arm (like rega 300 or equiv) a decent MM or MC (mabey an AT MC or clearaudio MM) and reasonable pre and live with it for awhile. Some TTs offer an upgrade path that will allow you to evaluate each performance "upgrade" or change so you can really hear what your investment is giving back. Linn, VPI and AR are a few that come to mind. Most of all take all advice (including mine) with a grain of salt and remember our impressions are biased by nature.
its tough parting with $1000+ when you're not sure :-(
Music Hall, Rega, Bluenote, Pro-ject, Clearaudio, vintage AR...jeesh, someone pick one for me :-) The vintage AR is "The Turntable" with a Rega arm, the Bluenote is a Piccolo, a couple Regas, Music Halls and Pro-Ject in my price range, and a Clearaudio Emotion. I'm sooo confused.
Just want to share my thoughts on the Clearaudio Emotion....Only buy this when you like fast, transparent, lean and mean sound. Overall, that's the sound you'll get with that table. If you're looking for more meat, look elsewhere.
I think I'm about to purchase a AR "The Turntable" with a Rega RB-250 and a OM-20 Super Cartridge. She's a beauty and has been gone over. Any last second thoughts before I take the plunge????