Is RIAA equalisation enough for Phono Stages?

This question was bought up in the latest HiFi+. In particular, the editors report back from the Dem he put on at the Rocky Montain show. To summarise the argument, he says that even after all companies signed up to use RIAA in the 70's I believe, in fact they did'nt. The poor results from DGG in particular, with screetchy, painful treble, is all due to this. Played with the proper correction, they are transformed.
Now a number of stages, both cheap and expensive, provide alternative equalisation, but not all, including many expensive ones. I believe Graham Slee at the cheaper end, EAR, Manley Steelhead, Zanden, all do, for example. Should it be a more important considerration in choosing a stage? Looking at discussions on this site for example, it does not seem to come up much.
david12
The EMT JPA-66 looks absolutely gorgeous. I love their arm and cartridges and would love to hear it.

On a cheaper note, I've got the Sentec EQ-10 tube phonostage coming from the same (US) distributor. It's made in Sweden and allows many variations for mono LPs (and now, it appears, some stereo LPs!) and 78s.

http://www.toneimports.com/sentec/sentec_eq10.html
Patrickamory, Loricraft has an inexpensive phono stage with many choices for equalization. I have not heard it, but had their standard model which was very good for the money.
I had the pleasure of attending one of the HiFi+ demonstrations at the RMAF. They used a Zanden phono stage which has multiple (but not continuously variable) RIAA settings. The table/arm/cartridge combination was kept constant except when demonstrating the utility of a mono cartridge with a mono recording. This was a methodical demonstration with only a single variable changed during each part of the demonstration. Roy Gregory and cohorts are to be commended for taking the time to make this such a meaningful demonstration.

The results were easily heard and for me, justified the cost of the trip. IMO, if you are dedicated to vinyl and have a significant investment in analog, it behooves you to at least consider a phono stage with variable RIAA. I have recently purchased a new turntable (Galibier Stelvio/Triplanar/Dynavector XV1-S combo) and the HiFi+ demo will definitely enter into my thought process as I look for a new phonostage/preamplifier. I have many jazz records recorded prior to 1975 that should benefit. I am also looking into add a second arm with a mono cartridge for my many mono recordings.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Tbg, thanks, but since I've got the Sentec now (and having a great time playing with it), I think I'm set for the moment!
Patrickamory, can you tell us more about the Sentec. I have not heard of it, nor can I google for it.