Magnetization & Demagnetization any conclusions?

Does the furutech improve sound? Does a record have the potential to become magnetized- and how easily??
I am planning on adding magnets to the bottom of my platter and the top of my plinth to take some weight off of the bearing. Then it occured to me, am I going to start introducing a magnetic charge to my records and cartridge?
Anyone have an idea how far is safe for a magnet to be before it starts to influence other materials? At this point I have 4 3/4 between the magnet and the record.
Thanks
pedrillo
Hi Dan_ed,

Thanks for the compliment. As I mentioned, I have never tried any type of demagnitizing device on records or CD's for that matter. I can only pass on what a couple of people think that would have some degree of knowledge about the subject. I do, however, respect your opinion about this. You would certainly know more about the results that you are getting than someone who has not tried using one of these devices.

With a little luck, the next time I'm at Music Direct I can get Mark or Michael to do a comparitive demonstration for me.

Best regards to all.

Jim Pendleton
Osage Audio Products, LLC
That's always the best thing, try it for yourself. BTW, I'm not trying to refute any physicists or chemists. I certainly don't know exactly what is taking place. I am curious to know what these guys have to say about what may or may not be happening, but then they would have to consider the whole picture. Magnetics, statics, cartridge signal generation, what solution is used to color the vinyl, etc. It may be easier to explain what is happening with ceedees and other digital medium.
Den ed with all due respect dont most manufacturers state that there product is the one you want, better that the rest. And give reasons to prove it.
Its like you said you need to do your own trial and error, use and do what your ears like. Because like our finger prints i think we all hear a little differently.
BTW i use both Talisman, and Ionoclast.
Getting ready to have a lot of fun cleaning about 40 lps. yea right.
My all have a very musical New Year
Well, that was the point I was trying to make. The Talisman and the Ionoclast do two separate operations. The post of Mapleshade's response read to me like they were saying that the devices that address magnetics didn't work as well as the Ionoclast. But the Ionoclast only addresses static. Don't use a screwdriver to drive a nail.
Well,as of now my own plan of attack is set!Since I have to go over to my friend's home(who owns the Furutech)to pick up my Phantom,when it comes in,I will definitely bring some of my Lp's along.He has many of the same records,so we will do a controlled comparison.
I will make sure he runs his humidifier continuously,and has had a safe seting for a few days.
I am sure I will find the responses here consistent.BUT I still have the HOTS for the Furutech disc flattener,which of course is a different story,but "IT" floats my boat in the accessory arena.
Best.