Deep Cleaning Records With Steam?

It has happened again. Major tweak and record provider has available a steam cleaner made especially for records. Anybody try steam for cleaning lp’s? What were your results? Since a unit can be had for about $20 at Target, 15% of what the tweak provider is charging, is it worth a try?.
tiger
I concur with the others who have had positive results from steam cleaning records.

Crem1 has been very helpful in his postings here, and additionally via email, such that now I have adopted steaming as a routine approach to vinyl enjoyment.

The following procedure is a summary of how Crem1's method looks for me using the WalMart steamer. I offer it here if it helps to clarify things for other new adopters.

Method:

1.Place the LP on the VPI RCM and steam the recording while rotating so as to douse the grooves deeply with steam about 3-4” from the disc surface for approximately 10-15 seconds using an angled nozzle approach.

2.Stop the VPI motor and apply the record cleaning solution of choice [mine is a home brew based on isopropyl alcohol].

3.Carefully scrub with a VPI record cleaning brush while the disc is rotating. I allow about 4-5 rotations for this step.

4.Next give blasts of steam to dislodge crud for several revolutions, and then position the vacuum tube over the LP and turn-on the vacuum to suck off the alcohol and steam residue mixture.

5.Gently dry the arm tube with a micro-fiber cloth and then do a 10 second final steam "rinse" while the disc is rotating.

6.Vacuum off this remaining fluid for about 6 rotations and check for dryness of the disc surface and label.

7.Go over the cleaned LP with a pristine and dry micro-fiber cloth to remove any residual moisture and continue with the other side.

8.Use a new liner sleeve and make notations of treatment date for historical purposes.

9.This technique should last for a long time so just before playing, I merely use a dry high quality microfiber cloth to go over the LP surface to remove any new dust once the record is on the turntable platter. I suspect repeated steaming will not be needed on already treated records.

I hope this is useful and welcome any feedback that might enhance the approach. Thanks to all steamers for the advice, encouragement and assistance, especially Charlie.
Taper : Thank you for the kind words. As the year comes to a close, just a mention of the following to Taper&Friends:

I believe Steam Cleaning is creating a grass-roots revolution of LP owners that is evolving to revive LP recordings to remarkable listening levels.

Steam Cleaning is cost effective, demonstrating that it is competitive to any other cleaning method in the market place. Steaming Cleaning method can stand on its own but for those with RCM's it makes no sence to discard a useful machine made so much more effective in combination with Steam Cleaning.

Hand held steam cleaning is no fluke. It is a process/method that was created & designed and used with great sucess for over a decade. It was an idea I did not exploit for gain , rather an idea I shaired with other Lp'ers to spread the joy of what was possible out of decades old/new recordings. Steam Cleaning is an idea and process that has been discussed in many of our most respected audio magazines for that value of the idea and process, not for profit.

In today's world superior steam cleaning machines abound to what had been available and at low cost. I continue to feel the"Perfection"is a best buy although the "SteamFast SF-227" has a more powerful blast of steam. But, what ever handheld steamer(sans garment units/steam irons)one uses will get the job done. Personally, I am coming to believe blasting power is something that one wants to vary depending upon the condition of the Lp.

A new Lp has a different set of cleaning conditions/values than a used recording. For instance, a fellow steamer emailed that he rarely uses anything other than pure steam on new records. He sez that he feels H2O removes most processing greases with just a moment or two of steaming.

The evolution of Steam Cleaning has exposed an achilles heel in the Record Cleaning Industry -- record cleaning solutions. I feel that it is a true gift of alchemy to create a record cleaning solution that does not leave some layer of materal a "sonic fingerprint" to shroud the listening experience , irrespective of the claims of the manufacture. Anyone that has Steamed Cleaned and played an LP understands what the manufactures have yet to learn.

So as we end this year and begin another lets work together to bring Lp cleaning to greater heights.

Remember its the journey... Happy Season -- Charlie
Crem1 - Thanks for your recommendations. I enjoy buying used vinyl at flea markets etc. Have some that really need a good cleaning. Am going to track down a Perfection Steam Cleaner (I do see it on Walgreen's web site).

Just came across this. Thought it might be of interest
http://musicangle.com/feat.php?id=54&page=4

Any suggestions about on-line sources for triple-distilled water?

Thanks in advance
Ghosthouse, Sure can't throw stones for that recommendation. Bought a near mint Mommas, and Papas greatest hits not long ago for $2 at the antique shop here in town (akin to a used record shop, but they have a multitude of various other things as well)

I ran the Lp through my VPI 16.5 with AIVS 4-step cleaners, sleeved them up in Mo_Fi, and Japanese Sleeves. A few days later decided to give the LP a spin to reminicse. I was totally startled to say the least. I was starting to have doubts whether my new Benz Ruby 3 was ever going to come around to sounding "pleasing". (Note how I say "Pleasing", and not killer)

The sound really surprised me, crystal clear midrange,no groove noise at all, and bested many Mo-Fi's I have lying around here, like Momma Cass was singing in the room! That woman sure had a beautiful voice, that was apparent with this LP. She sure wasn't much of a "Looker", but she could sure darn well sing!
A terribly horrible loss, just like many other greats.
Mark
Ghosthouse: For years I have been using demineralized and distilled H2O super pure water manufactured by Peak as battery water. I formerly purchased another product no longer on store shelves;however,according to the customer rep for Peak, they also manufactured that product for a 3rd party distributer that was identical to the current manufacturing standards for Peak Battery Water. I purchase Peak @ Pep Boys Auto for $4.00 per Gal.
According to another Thread on Water below ours, Whole Foods Organic Stores sell a in-store water product possibly superior to Peak for significantly less $, provided you supply the container. All the Best in the New Year - Charlie