Deep Cleaning Records With Steam?

It has happened again. Major tweak and record provider has available a steam cleaner made especially for records. Anybody try steam for cleaning lp’s? What were your results? Since a unit can be had for about $20 at Target, 15% of what the tweak provider is charging, is it worth a try?.
tiger
Crem1 - Thanks for your recommendations. I enjoy buying used vinyl at flea markets etc. Have some that really need a good cleaning. Am going to track down a Perfection Steam Cleaner (I do see it on Walgreen's web site).

Just came across this. Thought it might be of interest
http://musicangle.com/feat.php?id=54&page=4

Any suggestions about on-line sources for triple-distilled water?

Thanks in advance
Ghosthouse, Sure can't throw stones for that recommendation. Bought a near mint Mommas, and Papas greatest hits not long ago for $2 at the antique shop here in town (akin to a used record shop, but they have a multitude of various other things as well)

I ran the Lp through my VPI 16.5 with AIVS 4-step cleaners, sleeved them up in Mo_Fi, and Japanese Sleeves. A few days later decided to give the LP a spin to reminicse. I was totally startled to say the least. I was starting to have doubts whether my new Benz Ruby 3 was ever going to come around to sounding "pleasing". (Note how I say "Pleasing", and not killer)

The sound really surprised me, crystal clear midrange,no groove noise at all, and bested many Mo-Fi's I have lying around here, like Momma Cass was singing in the room! That woman sure had a beautiful voice, that was apparent with this LP. She sure wasn't much of a "Looker", but she could sure darn well sing!
A terribly horrible loss, just like many other greats.
Mark
Ghosthouse: For years I have been using demineralized and distilled H2O super pure water manufactured by Peak as battery water. I formerly purchased another product no longer on store shelves;however,according to the customer rep for Peak, they also manufactured that product for a 3rd party distributer that was identical to the current manufacturing standards for Peak Battery Water. I purchase Peak @ Pep Boys Auto for $4.00 per Gal.
According to another Thread on Water below ours, Whole Foods Organic Stores sell a in-store water product possibly superior to Peak for significantly less $, provided you supply the container. All the Best in the New Year - Charlie
Man am I steamed! Based on Crem1 suggestions, I got my wife to buy me a Perfection steamer for Christmas. I went to Pep Boys and got the deionized water, even bought myself a 3" Purdy brush. I already have a VPI record vac that is 26 years old and still going strong (so obviously I believe in cleaning records). I have been using the Walker Audio Prelude with great success. So, I followed Crem1 recommendations and have been astonished at the results. I am truly hearing sounds in records I have played for 26 years that never heard before. And it most cases way less surface noise. Thanks Crem1! I now consider a steamer and a record vac a must.
Jbaussie : You made my New Year's Eve with such a positive email, thank you .

J: Steam Cleaning is based on science not hype. In terms of Lp cleaning, that means anyone who chooses to follow the process (and respects Steam Cleaning from a safety point of view) can expect the same positive results that I have enjoyed for years for a fraction of the cost associated with record cleaning.

We must always remember, the industry has "educated" we Lp'ers to expect Instant Karma by cleaning from a liquid in a bottle , a machine or brush costing BIG bucks. But thats only a small part of the story. Cleaners and machines all have a place in the arsenal of record cleaning aids; the real story is " what do your ears tell you " and that is priceless .

Be assured I'm science-type person with room for inspiration and innovation. I love those black discs and I have been experimenting with remarkable ideas that compliment steaming bringing more musical enjoyment to folks like you and I.

Recently, I have had several break-thru's that I must re-test to make certian they are ready for "Prime Time". Till then, keep the revolution going.