Any experience with the new Linn Sondek upgrades?

The new arm seems monstrously priced since I just managed to do my upgrade three years ago. It was worth it but another five grand seems nuts. Perhaps the base upgrade at half that provides more benefit per kilo-buck, and it more in line with their theory that the platter comes first. Its gonna take me another three years before I can squirrel away that much if the new arm is that big an improvement.
aceto
I think Art Dudley of Stereophile, who is also a long time owner of the Sondek Lp12, summed it up quite nicely in the October issue.
I also agree with Mr. Sayles and Mr Newmanoc.I have a fully loaded LP 12 minus the SE upgrades. The money Linn wants for the SE upgrades, in my opinion, would be better spent on a altogether different turntable. For that kind of scratch Linn has successfully priced themselves right out of the market. I would like to add that there are turntable companies out there with a much better customer oriented approach.
The TW Raven, VPI HR-X will all crush the Linn at that price. The upgrade seems like an utter waste of money; and I have an LP12 with Ekos, etc. Yes, the table can be made to sound better, but it has fundamental design flaws that the other tables have overcome a long time ago. Instead of redesigning the table from scratch, which is what it should have done, Linn has come up with a bunch of retroactive changes that are exorbitantly priced.
Some good points you make Newmanoc about tone arms and cartridges. I too posses an Akiva and find it to be so revealing. It does everything well and is a very quiet (surface noise/groove) rider. Actually Scan-Tech makes both Lyra and the Akiva but, not to knit pick. I've always wondered if the Graham 2.0 or 2.2 would be a good match for the venerable Sondek, it seems light enough. Does anyone have some experience with that? A Graham is somewhat hard to find used but not impossible and you get VTA on the fly with replaceable arm tubes so one could run a mono cartridge as well for quieter, more appropriate play for all the old and reissue vinyl out there. Pricing is just beyond the Ekos II (used) from what I’ve seen and if the tonearm mounting collar ID in the keel is larger than the shaft OD of the Graham by enough it is very likely one could machine a custom bushing to retrofit the two into a sound, stable marriage. I’ll have to do some rooting around and take measurements. In the end I'm torn with whether to buy a second table, Lp12 or not, or go with the Keel. All three ideas have their merit and had Linn priced today's upgrades as in the past (very affordable) I wouldn't even be looking at these other scenarios so carefully. I really want a second table eventually. Just ruminating out loud. How about tartan felt mats as Art Dudley suggested? and a dee dram of Scotch. :^)

Happy (analog) Listening!