How to tell if lp is recorded with phase reversed?

I'm just wondering what is the best tipoff that an lp is recorded with phase reversed. I have a PS Audio GCPH, so reversing phase is easily accomplished. I have listened both ways, on some lp's it seems to sound better with phase reversed, but what are the obvious signs, or are there any? Thanks, Dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xislandmandan
Islandmandan, I envy you the capability to invert easily, but I do not know how thee PS Audio does this. If it adds another stage, this sorely disadvantages the inverted sound.

As to how you can know, it is my experience that on many records you can hear little difference, but on some it is striking. Remember also that recording engineers may change the absolute phase between cuts further complicating the issue. Your ears are your only recourse as usual. I have lacked the capability to easy change phase for years and am certain that at least some of the records that thrill me are those that accidentally have correct phase for my system. I will also say that the quality of your vinyl front end including the phono stage can be far more important than absolute phase.
As usual, excellent information from all, thanks for sharing. Tbg, I also don't know how PS Audio accomplishes the inversion. All I know is its performance for me has been very good. I know as in all other aspects of audio equipment, that there is always something better out there, the limits are only as deep as your pockets. For the money, though, the GCHP has made me a satisfied listener, besting any phono stage I've had, and besting my digital front end, in which I have nearly twice the investment. My system has reached an overall level of performance that, for now, has shown me that now is the time to turn to a previously overlooked side of system synergy, my room. That is where I will focus my energies and resources until the listening room is on a par with the capabilities of my system. Thanks again to all, so pleasureable to get and read helpful input from those willing to share their knowledge. Best regards, Dan
The easiest way I've found is to listen at moderate level with your hands cupped behind your ears. If the phase is reversed the sound is better with your hands there. If the phase is correct, the sound is worse. (Either way, adjust for the added apparent volume.) There are other aural clues, but that's the easiest way I've found. Try it.
You are talking about absolute polarity not phase. Phase,commonly, would be the relationshipo between two microphones or the relationship between two speakers like ones connected improperly. This is easy to hear.

Polarity on multi-mic'd recording may be all over the place. The kick drum trick with the woofer is fine and easier to tell than a lot of polarity issues but comb filtering in the high end in general or out of phase mics will not be corrected by flipping absolute polarity. You might like the sound one way better than the other though and your ears should be the judge. It's rare that i hear a one or two mic recording that is out of polarity.

Of course, the phase coherence on the gear you own makes a difference too. Hell, everything makes a little difference.