Get a better turntable or better phono preamp?

Guess I'll start a new thread as the older one got side tracked.

My main question is if I had to spend $400 on improving my vinyl rig, would my money go further by buying a new $400 Technics SL-1200MK2? Or keep my vintage Technics SL-D3 and use the $400 to buy a(new or used)better phono preamp (replacing the DJ phono preamp I am using now). Since my vintage table is a direct drive table also and built in the same era as the SL-1200MK2, would changing my table be a noticeable improvement? Specs for both tables are very similar, differences are build and weight favoring the SL-1200MK2, and that my table is an automatic vs. manual, but all else like wow and flutter, rumble noise, etc are very close.

Since my DJ phono preamp(Gemini)is built for mixing, I don't know how good it is for using it as an audiophile phono preamp. Can I do better in this area, like going with a Creek OBH15, Cambridge Azur 640P, Bellari Tube Phono Preamp VP129, Project Phono Box SE-2, Project Tube Box 2, Graham SLEE Gram Amp2 SE for MM/ Gram Amp 3 for MC, Clearaudio Nano, Simaudio Moon LP3, MF X-LPSv3, Rega Fono, or CIAudio VPP-2 with VAC1 power supply? Looking to improve in these areas: resolution, imaging, soundstaging, blacker backgrounds,quietness,stronger bass output, and smoother more natural playback.

So should I get a better turntable or better phono preamp?

Thanks.
studio68
Not unanimous... The SL 1200 is a decent table and would make a reasonable foundation for your system. I personally don't like any of your options of phono stages in that price range. Get the table and when you have some money saved up get a decent phono stage...

JMHO

O

o

Nrchy - If the answer is save even more money to get an even better phono stage, what good is dropping the money now on a TT, and putting off the phono stage even longer?
Have to totally agree with better phono pre . But...Nrchy has a valid point the sl 1200 is a descent table and it is what I used before the JA Michell Gyro SE Mk11 my daughter bought as a gift for me . If you choose the phono pre I would spend a few hundred more and find a used graham slee reflex era gold over any of the ones you list and many not listed . I picked up a used one for 650 ( very good deal ). All the areas you are wanting to improve would be good with the gram amp se but steller for a few hundred more for the reflex era gold .The caution here is once you get a better phono pre you have to re budget for the new vynil you will want ! Cheers and enjoy .
The table is still going to be a very good foundation, regardless of what phono stage he employs. The table can be upgraded when the opportunity arrives, but a cheap phono stage will always be a cheap phono stage. By saving a few hundred bucks, and maybe waiting six months he can get a lot better system for playing his LPs.

Maybe in June he could afford a used Pass Labs Aleph Ono phono (just one example, not a recommendation per se) rather than the passable units he's talking about now.

While I think the TT has longer term service potential I don't think any of the phono stages are longer term keepers... JMO.

O

o

Post removed