Get a better turntable or better phono preamp?

Guess I'll start a new thread as the older one got side tracked.

My main question is if I had to spend $400 on improving my vinyl rig, would my money go further by buying a new $400 Technics SL-1200MK2? Or keep my vintage Technics SL-D3 and use the $400 to buy a(new or used)better phono preamp (replacing the DJ phono preamp I am using now). Since my vintage table is a direct drive table also and built in the same era as the SL-1200MK2, would changing my table be a noticeable improvement? Specs for both tables are very similar, differences are build and weight favoring the SL-1200MK2, and that my table is an automatic vs. manual, but all else like wow and flutter, rumble noise, etc are very close.

Since my DJ phono preamp(Gemini)is built for mixing, I don't know how good it is for using it as an audiophile phono preamp. Can I do better in this area, like going with a Creek OBH15, Cambridge Azur 640P, Bellari Tube Phono Preamp VP129, Project Phono Box SE-2, Project Tube Box 2, Graham SLEE Gram Amp2 SE for MM/ Gram Amp 3 for MC, Clearaudio Nano, Simaudio Moon LP3, MF X-LPSv3, Rega Fono, or CIAudio VPP-2 with VAC1 power supply? Looking to improve in these areas: resolution, imaging, soundstaging, blacker backgrounds,quietness,stronger bass output, and smoother more natural playback.

So should I get a better turntable or better phono preamp?

Thanks.
studio68
I would suggest you upgrade your phono preamp first because the two turntables you mention have very similar specifications.
I'd agree on the phono pre as well, but you don't mention what cartridge you're using. Can the Technics take different cartridges? If so, depending upon what you're using and the age of it, a new cartridge may also be worth considering.
Definitely the phono pre but certainly not because the specs are similar, they do sound different.
Post removed