Recommended first turntable?

I'm in need of a turntable! I've never owned one and don't have a very large record collection yet, so I'm not keen on spending more than say...$250. The turntables that people recommend to me (ie Rega, Thorens, Ariston) all seem very pricy in the used market.

For those of you who helped with my amp search, I finally got a Parasound HCA-1000A and its matching pre-amp, the P/HP-850.

Thanks!
128x128ledhed2222
Sorry, here's the full list:

Pro-ject Debut III
Rega P1
Goldring GR 1.2
Music Hall MMF 2.1
Audio Technica PL-120
Thorens TD-158

The Dual that's for sale here on Audiogon is looking pretty nice too...I'm just worried that it would arrive damaged.
I don't think turntables are necessarily super fragile. If cared for, a turntable can last and last and last without trouble. But, buying used does present a risk, and to minimize that risk, you have to be careful with buying.

As for shipping, a turntable (if properly packed) should be OK. Insurance is probably a good idea.

You can try buying locally. Craigslist might have a turntable--although there will probably be one gem, mixed in with thirty buys along the lines of "seventies record player with integrated 8 Track Player! Works--well, most of the time time!" You might also have luck with audio dealers. (This can be a challenge, too, since many dealers don't want to deal with people interested in keeping a budget.)

Buying new like you're thinking of doing does reduce the risk of buying a total lemon. Once you've had experience with analog, you'll be able to chase that elusive great buy.

As for the turntables you're thinking of, I have had no experience with the models you list. However, here are some thoughts based on my experiences with other turntables from the same companies, not to mention having spent too much time reading forums such as this:

Of the choices you have listed, I think the "safest" is probably the Rega P1. It should be well made, durable, and have good resale value. Plus--and this is a big plus--it has an Ortofon OM5 cartridge included, which should be a lot better than some other "included" cartridges I can name.

Pro-Ject has its fans. I don't think the build quality is as high as a Rega. But, the Debut has the advantage of being cheap--and since it's not a Rega you might get the best deal here. The Debut also comes in a range of colors, should that strike your fancy.

The Audio Technica interested me because it has a 78 rpm speed. However, it appears to be a DJ product, and I have yet to hear anything about it. However, it should be durable, it's cheap ($200 at www.lpgear.com!) and with a better cartridge and possibly a little tweaking (a better mat, etc) it might be a good buy.

The Dual you mention is, I assume, the CS5000? Those were a big budget buy twenty years ago or so. I'm guessing here, but I'd guess the Dual could perform better than a new Pro-Ject Debut. It's certainly worth considering. If carefully packed, it should ship OK.
Sigh, ANOTHER question. What do you all think of Systemdek turntables, especially the IIx? I've heard that parts for this table are hard or even impossible to find, and that turns me off.
The Systemdek design was a good one, and I would consider a IIx in good condition as my first low-budget choice... with the parts proviso, of course. However the design has been revived by Audio Note and it might be possible to source parts from them. Alternatively, a new AN TT might be an option.
I've heard about Audio Note and I'd love to get one, unfortunately the TT1 starts at about $950! I can't justify spending that much on my first turntable.