Recommended first turntable?

I'm in need of a turntable! I've never owned one and don't have a very large record collection yet, so I'm not keen on spending more than say...$250. The turntables that people recommend to me (ie Rega, Thorens, Ariston) all seem very pricy in the used market.

For those of you who helped with my amp search, I finally got a Parasound HCA-1000A and its matching pre-amp, the P/HP-850.

Thanks!
128x128ledhed2222

Showing 3 responses by jc2000

The setup varies based on the turntable. The easiest is a Rega--basically remove from a box and fling (well not LITERALLY) onto a level surface. (There are a few more steps--but it's easy that anyone can do it.) At the other end of the spectrum, there are turntables with spring suspensions. The springs have to be adjusted to level the platter, and often one needs to do some tuning. Thus, the setup will vary based on what you end up with. Every common turntable has information on the Internet (a quick search of Vinyl Asylum at www.audioasylum.com is a good place to start.)

Cartridge mounting and alignment is the bigger issue--there are instructions all over, including on Vinyl Asylum. Vinyl Engine (www.vinylengine.com) has protractors for the alignment available for download.

Cleaning is another possible nightmare. The Real Audiophile--the one using a $5,000 turntable as "the daily listening turntable" will insist on using a combination of products that costs more than your total turntable budget. Basically, the "preferred" approach involves a fluid that's applied to the record, and then vacuumed off with a record cleaning machine (most common: VPI and Nitty Gritty.) You can find plans to build your own record cleaning machine using a standard vacuum cleaner or a Shop Vac.

Some clean using various manual systems. Disc Doctor has its fans (discdoc.com--note no "www"). Some use other methods including dish soap and running water.

Others content themselves with just a simple carbon fiber brush. The brush alone might be all you need IF you have records that are in decent, fairly well-maintained condition. If you start collecting records that aren't in such great condition, then you realistically should move up to some other system.

The most important cleaning is the stylus. There are various schemes--many of which cost money. A small bottle of liquid and brush for $20 plus. A much cheaper system is using Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. This is hot--many posts on Vinyl Asylum and here. I use these myself.

As for turntables, my vote is for finding something older that's in good condition. Turntables can turn up in thrift shops and garage sales--but you have to be careful to make sure you're buying something decent. Used turntables often have a cartridge included. It's probably best to replace the stylus. Some would suggest replacing the whole cartridge, but I think it's worth investigating the cartridge model and how much a stylus might run. A top flight cartridge from years and years ago might perform better with a new stylus than a rock bottom entry level cartridge of today. There's an article on Positive Feedback that's worth reading. (http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue18/turntables.htm).

As for the Grado, I have mixed feelings. Grado cartridges have a good midrange. But they do tend to be a bit fussy with setup. Other cheap cartridges that are worth considering are Ortofon, Audio-Technica, Shure, and Stanton/Pickering.

I think your budget of $250 is far from hopeless. Theoretically, if all went really well, you could end up with spending LESS than $250. What you need to do is find good buys, prepared to do research, etc. The advantage is that you'll probably have a better understanding of the nuts and bolts of analog better than a person who only knows how to whip out a Visa card. This understanding will serve you well in years to come.
Thanks for your positive comments about my last post.

I should have added some comment about using some sort of water that's more pure than tap water. Some people do use just running water from the tap, but it does seem logical that some sort of purer water would be better.

Overall, I think it's a good idea to plan to get a record cleaning system in from the start. It's not necessarily critical for new records, or records that are known to be in good condition. But it is important for used records. And a big advantage of analog is buying used records. At $10 per CD (or CD equivalent iTunes download), you can buy 26 records at $1 each in a thrift store, and save the cost of this $250 investment.

The LAST stylus cleaner is probably worth considering. The advantage of the Magic Eraser approach is that the Magic Eraser is cheap. LAST also makes record cleaners that might be an attractive "get me started" option.

I don't think turntables are necessarily super fragile. If cared for, a turntable can last and last and last without trouble. But, buying used does present a risk, and to minimize that risk, you have to be careful with buying.

As for shipping, a turntable (if properly packed) should be OK. Insurance is probably a good idea.

You can try buying locally. Craigslist might have a turntable--although there will probably be one gem, mixed in with thirty buys along the lines of "seventies record player with integrated 8 Track Player! Works--well, most of the time time!" You might also have luck with audio dealers. (This can be a challenge, too, since many dealers don't want to deal with people interested in keeping a budget.)

Buying new like you're thinking of doing does reduce the risk of buying a total lemon. Once you've had experience with analog, you'll be able to chase that elusive great buy.

As for the turntables you're thinking of, I have had no experience with the models you list. However, here are some thoughts based on my experiences with other turntables from the same companies, not to mention having spent too much time reading forums such as this:

Of the choices you have listed, I think the "safest" is probably the Rega P1. It should be well made, durable, and have good resale value. Plus--and this is a big plus--it has an Ortofon OM5 cartridge included, which should be a lot better than some other "included" cartridges I can name.

Pro-Ject has its fans. I don't think the build quality is as high as a Rega. But, the Debut has the advantage of being cheap--and since it's not a Rega you might get the best deal here. The Debut also comes in a range of colors, should that strike your fancy.

The Audio Technica interested me because it has a 78 rpm speed. However, it appears to be a DJ product, and I have yet to hear anything about it. However, it should be durable, it's cheap ($200 at www.lpgear.com!) and with a better cartridge and possibly a little tweaking (a better mat, etc) it might be a good buy.

The Dual you mention is, I assume, the CS5000? Those were a big budget buy twenty years ago or so. I'm guessing here, but I'd guess the Dual could perform better than a new Pro-Ject Debut. It's certainly worth considering. If carefully packed, it should ship OK.